Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just opened an account with linuxforums and excited to be apart of the community! I've lurked some of the threads & stickies, and only one question remains... Would these be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face Do my USE flags look right for a basic installation?

Just opened an account with linuxforums and excited to be apart of the community! I've lurked some of the threads & stickies, and only one question remains... Would these be the most effective tags for such a basic install? (I am just doing a basic Gentoo system with either AwesomeWM or DWM in mind.)
    Code:
    USE="
    # wanted
    alsa bindist dvd gcc gtk mmx pulseaudio sse sse2 
    # unwanted
    -gnome -kde -qt4
    "
    Thanks in advance for any help!

The use flags for each package you emerge are determined by a combination of the profile you select, information you put in /etc/portage/make.conf, and what you put in /etc/portage/package.use which allows flags to be set on a per package basis. When I first started using gentoo I struggled to get packages to emerge in part due to the USE flag settings I chose.
    Code:
    eselect profile list
    can be used to show the profiles available and what you have selected.
    You can check the combination of profile and your make.conf USE settings with
    Code:
    emerge --info
    You can also check this threat.

For an individual package you should review
    Code:
    emerge -pv the_package_to_emerge
    You get to chose what is included or excluded for a particular package, what is going to work best for you will have to be worked out by you