Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to take time to commend anyone who has installed Gentoo linux. Because I've tried , 3xs, and have not been successful just yet. I've been able to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Great Job Fellas!

I'd like to take time to commend anyone who has installed Gentoo linux. Because I've tried , 3xs, and have not been successful just yet. I've been able to install every other flavor. So good job guys and keep tuxin'

This post is no BS. :P

Linux Guru
    The ... after Gentoo under my avatar represents the sinking feeling I had soon after the elation of seeing a functional command line. And then I realized I had to install everything else before I'd have the fine Gentoo I thought wanted. And that was just a stage 2.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    It took me a very long time to finish my Gentoo installation. Being that I just started using Linux maybe about 3 months ago. I jumped straight to one of the toughest installs I ever encountered. But I stuck with it and I finished. Even though it was a Stage 2 install I found it quite challenging. I will keep using Gentoo because it hasnt crashed on me since I installed it. I will now proceed to install it on my laptop. Thanks to everyone here who helped me with my installation.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I first tried a stage 1, couldn't get it to work, later discovered it was because I had mispelled a CFLAG... So went to stage-2, almost no problems. Then had to re-install because I added another monitor and some other hardware, for which stuff like xinerama support would have been easier to add by re-install, and the root account was broken (i did something by accident under root) anyways.
    So this time I tried a stage 1, it went flawlessly. Post what your specific problem was, I might be able to help.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Newbie
    Well, I dont really remember. I have since installed Slackware and FC3 - I believe I'll give it another go and see what happens. I am more experienced now. I will definitley post any problems or successes here. Thanks for your offering. As I said before, those who have installed Gentoo are bada$$es, because its not a walk in the park install.

Just Joined!
    Being a MDK runnaway, i tried Gentoo using the stage 3 installation. I ended up blocked on boot with vesafb: scrolling: redraw message. Anyway, now i am giving it a second try, this time with 2.4 kernel which is recommended. I got to boot it now to command line (which is fine as x11 isn't installed yet), but my usb keyboard doesn't work at all. Anyway.. i recompiled the kernel and changed the UHCI and EHCI usb support from (M) (module) to (*) to be supported out of the kernel by default. Now i'll give it a spin (as soon as i restart the comp).

Wish me luck.

I believe that, however tough the first installation is, the second time would always be much much easier, when i'll already know it better. So, i just have to pass through this first succesful installation to have a full and enriched advanced gentoo linux experience. The main reason that i want it is the magical portage.

Currently, i'm on slackware 10 (and have Ubuntu installed as well, it's providing me with a nice and easy GRUB bootloader LOL)

Thanks
    Daniel

netshogun go for it ! because once u get a sucessfull Gentoo install you will be amazed at how much you will have learned and on the 2nd system u install it on you'll fly through it so fast....and so on and so on and so on......and you will probably not want to try any other distro there after ( i have tried to make myself try other distro's howener i just end up installing gentoo on every puter that i get.....It just works!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I've done a couple of Gentoo installs, I remember my first was one of the most informative Linux experiances ever, I came to the forum and answerd some 40 questions it was a grand day when I opened up KDE on my trim stage 1 install system, she almost went under for the first time last week when an emerge depclean went awry, but i got herr back on her feet, altough it ended my 9 month uptime.......
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Enthusiast
    Use kernel 2.6
    If it doesn't work, switching to 2.4 is likely to cause more problems than it solves, as well as being rather outdated.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

lol qub333 depclean.... now that i havent had the guts to mess with.....been warned off of it by gentoo dev's.......... (probably have to be realy plastered one night to try that or getting ready to do a stage1 on the serverthat is stage3 at this time that im migrating off of real soon)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org