Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there can someone tell me how I can go into my gentoo mount point so I can extract stage tarball,as I typed cd /mnt/gentoo Then tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-<subarch>-20040412.tar.bz.2 to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

stuck during install

Hi there can someone tell me how I can go into my gentoo mount point so I can extract stage tarball,as I typed cd /mnt/gentoo Then tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-<subarch>-20040412.tar.bz.2 to try and install tarball but get error that there no such file or directory, I cant go anyfurther till I can sort this out as a Computer learner.Im using universal live cd 2004.2, I do have a connection to internet from my network with XP home supplying internet,but from reading the cd handbook im using at sametime it says im better to use the cd to download and not internet ,is that right and can you tell me where im going wrong, as believe it or not I dont know how to get into gentoo mountpoint ,or maybe I am but I keep getting Error,Please Help. Its the first part of instaling the first tarball that im up to (Not got very far yet) but am persitant to install gentoo...

Linux Enthusiast
    Firstly, make sure that the cdrom is mounted, secondly, make sure that the file name is correct
    Code:
    ls -l /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-<subarch>-20040412.tar.bz2
    as it looks like you have a "." in bz2 (maybe just a typo).

Linux Enthusiast
    No it's not better to install from the CD most of the time, it really depends on what you want. Here's a explanation of each stage:

Stage 1 - It compiles and installs the whole system from sourcecode downloaded from internet, including the compiler and compile utilities (bootstraping).

Stage 2 - Same as above, but the bootstrap is pre-compiled.

Stage 3 - Use all pre-compiled packages from a CD (and thus somewhat out of date depending on how old the CD image is, and not really processor optimized), except for the kernel.

Now, the downside to using stage3 (from CD) is that one, you then have to use pre-compiled packages when updating or installing new programs; two, it's not compiled locally, which means you can't really add customization options (like taking out support for stuff you won't use and having it more suited to your specific processor); and three, you'll be stuck using less up to date packages.

If you can, use a network install, probably a stage2 if you're not as familiar with Linux. The downside to stage1/stage2 (sort of) is that compiling does take awhile for some programs, and making sure you have all the USE flags and CFLAGS you'll want can take some time. Make sure to run "emerge -pv" on any package before you actually emerge it so you can see what USE flags you might want to add that you didn't think of before.
    A helpful little script I made to see what any particular USE flag does:
    Code:
    echo egrep -h "$@" /usr/portage/profiles/use.*desc > /usr/bin/useinfo
    chmod +x /usr/bin/useinfo
    Just run the above commands as root, then type "useinfo <flag>" replacing <flag> with whatever USE flag you want info on. Very useful.
    As for CFLAGS, it depends on what sort of CPU you have. For example, and AMD Athlon XP should include "-march=atlhon-xp", and almost anybody with a PC (x86) processor should include at least "-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer", and it's not a bad idea to include "-ffast-math" too. For more optimization, you can put "-O3" instead of "-O2".

as for getting into the mount point, since you'll need to do that no matter what stage you use, first make sure you are in /mnt/gentoo, then try running this:
    Code:
    ls -l /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3*
    Find which one is most suited to your CPU, and then highlight it with the mouse. Now type:
    Code:
    tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/
    and click the mouse wheel to paste the filename, then press enter to extract.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050