Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Stage3 version?

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Stage3 version?

So I am following this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handboo...tallation/Base

And when selecting the profile for eselect, there is a Warning that reads:

Quote Originally Posted by Warning
    Profile upgrades are not to be taken lightly. When selecting the initial profile, make sure to use profile corresponding to the same version as the one initially used by stage3 (e.g. 13.0). Each new profile version is announced through a news item containing migration instructions. Make sure to read it and follow them before switching to a newer profile.
    How do I find out the version of Stage3 I downloaded?

I downloaded from here: Index of /gentoo/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/

this file: stage3-amd64-20180116T214503Z.tar.xz

You can use 'eselect profile list' to see what profile is active. You downloaded standard 64-bit multilib stage3. From there you can switch to no-multilib, but back to multilib from no-multilib is a little tricky. The CHOST variable in make.conf tells what arch it is for.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You can use 'eselect profile list' to see what profile is active. You downloaded standard 64-bit multilib stage3. From there you can switch to no-multilib, but back to multilib from no-multilib is a little tricky. The CHOST variable in make.conf tells what arch it is for.
    The one that was automatically selected was 17.0 and some other stuff I forgot, hopefully multilib. I guess the default will work, right?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What you need multilib for? Everything FOSS runs 64-bit and even Skype is 64-bit now.

Linux User
    What you need multilib for? Everything FOSS runs 64-bit and even Skype is 64-bit now.
    Don't know. Gentoo's handbook said it was better for new users. I just didn't want to run into any trouble. I guess it's too late to switch back, since I already compiled the kernel. It's too late, right?

Kernel? In kernel you can turn IA32 emulation off and on as you wish.
    The profile and CHOST are about userland. With multilib you will have 32-bit duplicates for every library if you are lazy and turn 32-bit ABI on globally. Or you can manage it by package basis but this requires some manual work.

Linux User
    -->
    Kernel? In kernel you can turn IA32 emulation off and on as you wish.
    The profile and CHOST are about userland. With multilib you will have 32-bit duplicates for every library if you are lazy and turn 32-bit ABI on globally. Or you can manage it by package basis but this requires some manual work.
    Cool. Thanks!