Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a stage 1 compilation without a properly configured network. I've tried getting Gentoo 2004.3 to recognise my PCIe card and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networkless Stage 1 Compilation?

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to do a stage 1 compilation without a properly configured network. I've tried getting Gentoo 2004.3 to recognise my PCIe card and I just might go insane if I try any harder.
    The Gentoo handbook says that networkless installs are only supported for stage 3. Is there a workaround that they haven't mentioned? I really want to custom-compile this one!

Thanks

There's just no way. The thing of a stage 1 is just that you manually bootstrap and compile everything with all the newest stuff downloaded from the internet. There's no shame in doing a stage 3, and re-emerging everything later. But you just can't really do a stage 1 networkless, AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    There's just no way. The thing of a stage 1 is just that you manually bootstrap and compile everything with all the newest stuff downloaded from the internet. There's no shame in doing a stage 3, and re-emerging everything later. But you just can't really do a stage 1 networkless, AFAIK
    Well...you can if you download everything by hand and burn it to a CD. To do this, however, you'd have to know what all files you'll need.

Do you have a reg. PCI NIC that you can use to install? Or an onboard card?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Enthusiast
    Or you could DL them from a different computer and put the source tarballs in /usr/portage/distfiles
    I did something similar when I re-installed Gentoo to save time, but then I already had a bunch of files I had DLed... You could also buy the DVDs from Gentoo, they have a snapshots of almost the entire portage tree, so use those and then once the system is running and you can get the net up, upgrade everything to latest. You could also do that with stage3 I think, but maybe not.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.
    My network hardware is actually integrated into the Asus P5GDC-V motherboard, so it's a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 controller (see http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-31337.html). I really don't want to download all the portage files manually because of 2 reasons: 1) Really crappy bandwidth and no DVD player/burner installed, and 2) I don't know which files I need. :P
    So I'll simply do a stage3 for now and recompile everything later once I have my network up and running.

Thanks for all the help!