Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok. so i followed the gentoo guidebook install and everything seemed to be fine. But when i restart my computer freezes with some lines like vesafb: scrolling: redraw and other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help stuck on reboot after gentoo install??????

ok. so i followed the gentoo guidebook install and everything seemed to be fine. But when i restart my computer freezes with some lines like vesafb: scrolling: redraw and other vesafb things. I think this has something to do with the monitor but I don't know what to do. I tried using both grub and lilo same result. any help would be great. thanks alot.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Ok I searches long and hard and could find no satisfatory anwer except that using the auto kernel configurer does not always work. i deduced that is was a driver error with my videocard which is part of the motherboard. So i went into the vast unknown and manually setup the kernel. This has worked. I finally got a prompt. the kernel loaded. no weird freeze ups and from here we go. so if anyone else has trouble with this (i.e you are a newb like me, i would be glad to share my experience and how i have managed to wiggle my way through this as of yet.)

All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I got the same problem just as you mentioned

my machine is demision 8400, video card is ATI radeon X800 SE
    I did genkernel and used kernel-2.6.10-gentoo-r6

need help

this is basicaly a framebuffer issue, the specifics are difficult to pinpoint w/o more information on your system and kernel compile. If you can inclue some more hardware information (namely graphics) and what you compiled into your kernel (or did you try gentoo's genkernel?)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I used genkernel to compile
    I am a newbe and this is my first time to install gentoo

I got fedora core 3 work quite well (did not try any 3D acceleration).
    and now i am using fc 3, and want to try mutil-boot with gentoo.

I am always ready to give out more information. I have no idea now where i can get those information from my current fc3 system, any suggestion?

I know i am definitely a newbe and appreciate your help.
    or point me to some resources i can refer to first before post my question here.

thank you