Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just wondered if I should set all my predicted USE flags while I'm doing the live cd install. I already set them then i rean the command emerge --update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

should I set USE flags when doing install?

I just wondered if I should set all my predicted USE flags while I'm doing the live cd install. I already set them then i rean the command

emerge --update --deep --newuse world

i set the flags in /etc/make.conf

this is taking a very long time. I just wondering if this is the appropriate time to do this because it looks likes its going to take all day. I used flags like

java, gnome, flac etc.....

or should i do this after the install.

Thanks, I'm trying.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Setting the USE variable and then compiling is the best solution. To not set use then re-merge with the new USE settings requires you to compile some things twice.

The time this takes will depend on your system specs. It usually takes around 8 hours or so (on a decent machine) to build your system. A stage1 install isn't something that you can have in an hour or so.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

thanks sarumont

i waited it out and hopefully will be glad that i did.

i see that you answer a lot of questions which is awesome and thanks is advance for any help. I was wondering if you have any idea why when I reboot the grub loader freezes on vstab. I've tried twice and gotten the same holdup.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close