Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I got to where gentoo base is installed and it can reboot back to the command line. I want to get the GUI installed, but the 2004.3 Gentoo handbook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Grp package list? How to instal?

Hi, I got to where gentoo base is installed and it can reboot back to the command line. I want to get the GUI installed, but the 2004.3 Gentoo handbook gets real vauge and trails off at that point. I also compared to the quick reference which does things differeently. I need help moving on.
    1. Is there a list of the packages that come on the package CD? From the handbook, all I know is there is KDE.

2. How do you proper install the packages? Is there another guide that clears that up?

3. I got the impression from the handbook that all I need to do is setup the video server or Xserver but doesnt give a guide. Is there a guide?

4. After all that, is that it? Will I get a GUI desktop environment?
    Ack!

Just Joined!
    I install everything from the net so i'm not sure about cd packages, but portgage and emerge is what you want to look up in the gentoo docs basically "emerge --sync" gets all the package names (takes a good while), "emerge program-name" installs it, "emerge --search package" looks for one. There are loads of other features as well.

To install a GUI you first have to choose one, then just emerge it. http://xwinman.org/ has the main ones listed if you don't know them. It should emerge everything else you need from that, including xorg which is the latest xserver. After it's done (it'll take ages) run xorgconfig then startx should run whatever desktop you installed.

Hope that answers your questions - should give you an idea of what docs to look around for, I installed from Stage 1 so may be different for you.

Linux Newbie

emerge

well, on the emerge bit I used emerge --sync followed by emerge --update --deep --newuse world. After that I had to use the command emerge metadata and something it said about authorising the use of cfg files. Lastly I used the command emerge --usebinpkg xorg to emerge xorg. Seemed to work.
    Ack!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close