Find the answer to your Linux question:
Comming from windows, I have no idea about what makes a secure system, so I ask, how secure is Gentoo fresh out of install (latest patches 2.6 kernel). Also, how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Security of Gentoo right out of install? (2.6.10 kernel)

Comming from windows, I have no idea about what makes a secure system, so I ask, how secure is Gentoo fresh out of install (latest patches 2.6 kernel).
    Also, how might I secure my system fairly well for just a regular joe schmoe user. It appears that the documents on the gentoo site are geared for commercial administrators plus google doesnt give anything of substance. I dont want to hamper my ability to run anything, but I dont want to be vulnerable either. What is a good middle ground, and how might i achieve it?

Linux Enthusiast
    With any GNU/Linux distro, you should be _much_ more than secure enough right out of the box, especially with gentoo. If you want extra security, check out some info on iptables.

Linux Newbie
    as root:

Code:
    glsa-check -t all
    ^^ Will show you all Gereral Linux Security Advisories that effect your system. Running
    Code:
    emerge sync && emerge -u world
    once a week should help too.