Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by smindinvern Originally Posted by Lotharjade What the heck, what am I missing? A decent video card, intels are notorious for being about the worst integrated video cards ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by smindinvern
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotharjade
    What the heck, what am I missing?
    A decent video card, intels are notorious for being about the worst integrated video cards on the market.
    I've never had a spot of trouble getting my integrated Intel video card working with Gentoo. It was hell getting it to work with Fedora, however. Go figure...

Linux Newbie
    What type of on board chip do you have?
    I may try to squeeze in a Riva TNT2 tonight and see if that solves my problems.
    Ack!

Linux Enthusiast
    ^^If I have to get onboard, I usually go with VIA, but try that card, that may work.

try "vesa" as your generic driver instead "vga"

That worked for me because "vga" driver can't get high resolutions.

You also, as previously mentioned, need to post your xorg.conf file.

Good Luck
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie

xorg

Actually, I seemed to have fixed the problem so I guess my xorg.conf file isn't needed anymore. For anyone who wants to know what I did, here you go.
    I connected my computer to my high speed internet and did a bunch of updating. I did (best as my notes say):
    emerge --sync
    emerge --update --deep --newuse world ( Cause my first time updating and all )
    emerge metadata (it said I had to do in the above command stuff)
    (note, when doing all this to read what scrolls by. The metadata and a cfg change were indicated when doing mine.)
    Then I emerged xorg and the gui's again using "emerge --usebinpkg xorg" and the following just replacing xorg in the previous command. Best to review the guides to do this properly, because I am fairly noobish.

Lastly I ran "xorgconfig" again using the following settings.
    mouse - auto
    monitor - 30-95 horizontal refresh, 50-150 refresh (for my VX1100 monitor)
    video card - generic I810 driver (selection 15 I believe)
    refresh rates - I just selected #4 to leave the settings as they were.

Then everything worked when I did startx, gdm, kdm to start up things. I just thought I would follow up this thread with where I concluded things. Still, I think they should have a much more detailed section in the Gentoo handbook in this area on just updating and installing these programs. THANKS!!! :o
    Ack!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2