Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone i have a printer install install problem First, I followed the how-to wiki from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml and I have Usb support in the kernel for printer and hotplugging on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing a printer

hi everyone i have a printer install install problem

First,

I followed the how-to wiki from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

and I have Usb support in the kernel for printer and hotplugging on but when i do the
    modprobe usbcore
    modprobe usblp

then plug in printer then type dmesg | tail the printer does not seem to be recognized. I checked in /dev/usb and there is nothing.

I have a HP photosmart 7150 and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Let's hit the obvious....is the printer powered on?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

yes it is powered on...but that could be something i would forget...any other suggestion? I've googling printer setup for gentoo type stuff and that wiki page seems to be the only good source I have found so far.

Thanks
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

I've found that printing in linux is a chore, my best luck has been installing the USB printer via cups, and not another intergrated driver type option (that hp offers) Linuxprinting.org also is a great resource, and the driver database should give you a hand in selecting printer drivers, as I found that to be my issue, even once i got a printer connected and installed, it just wouldn't work with the default driver, I ended up using the gimp-print driver, and that was what worked..... so who knows, give it a whirl (but I also ended up being forced into KDE's printer util as i think CUPS has one of the least user-friendly config setups ever)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I'm also using gnome ... does anyone know if there is an auto detect type feature for printers in gnome like there apparently is for kde. I can't find it when looking through gnome but maybe it is something i can emerge or download.

and of course any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ok! I found the solution. Apparently there is some kind of problem with hotplugging and the newest release of gentoo. So I had to emerge coldplug then rc-update coldplug default and voila when i plugged my printer in did a dmest | tail it was there.

SWEET--printer now works like a champ