Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've finally gotten interested in gentoo, and figure if I bootstrap correctly I might even be able to get more speed out of an old laptop than slackware, but more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Alternate Gentoo Installation, will Slax work?

I've finally gotten interested in gentoo, and figure if I bootstrap correctly I might even be able to get more speed out of an old laptop than slackware, but more importantly, I am just really interested in gentoo. Now I've been through the manual with a fine tooth comb and just have one start up question before I walk myself through the manual and try a gentoo install.

This link Gentoo ALternate Installation Methods specifies that knoppix can be used to install gentoo. Well I have to leave my laptop up while the compiles etc are taking place so I was wondering if Slax would also work, it preforms much better on my system, plus I have I copy that I know work well. Does anyone have any idea on this before I mess everything up?

Thanks so much for your time guys.[/url]
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    as long as you can chroot into a seperate environment (should be fine with slax) with which to install gentoo then yes it will work fine. Just follow the handbook to the letter and you won't have any problems!

Linux Enthusiast
    I've had problems compiling glibc from almost all liveCD's except the gentoo liveCD. If you happen to come across the same problems, just know, that's what it is.

Linux Engineer
    thanks so much for the replies guys, will kepp you informed

wish me luck...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs