Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
what does it list when you type ifconfig. if it does not list eth0 then type. ifconfig eth0 up dhcpcd or dhclient eth0 and that might do it. If this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

what does it list when you type ifconfig.

if it does not list eth0 then type. ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd or dhclient eth0

and that might do it. If this is the case you need to add eth0 to you run time default. rc-update add net.eth0 default
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    ifconfig still posts the same output that I have listed in an above, i think the first, post. I have net.eth0 added to my default run time. and when I manually try I get the output

Code:
    *Bringing eth0 up via DHCP....                             [!!]
    and anytime I try to do anything with eth0, such as ifconfig eth0 up I get the output
    Code:
    eth0: unkown interface: No such device
    so I figure that I have to somehow add the device and assign the eth card to be eth0...

confused and now a bit dazed,

thanks for your time,

John
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

try this in a vt that is not chrooted
    Code:
    net-setup eth0
    also try
    Code:
    net-setup eth1
    sometimes i dont know why but it gives it eth1 even though there is only 1 nic in the box.... then in that same vt
    Code:
    cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
    then go back to your chroot`d vt and check
    Code:
    cat /etclresolv.conf
    to see that the nameserver info is there then ping something[/code]
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    -bash: net-setup: command not found
    Ah, looks promising, but the command is not found, shoul I use a live cd, chroot, and emerge net-setup, or is the app of another name? Or is there a more manual way to do this?

Thanks for your time,

I appreciate all your help so far,

Hopefully we'll get this thing working soon

thanks,

John

wait
    i thought u were installing
    if u have a full install then simply edit your
    Code:
    /etc/conf.d/net
    and asfar as' netmount' mine borks everytime but works....i'll fig that out someday
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    not sure what it is supposed to look like but my /etc/conf.d/net looks like this, I left out comment sentances but left in commented options in order to keep this post with some degree of brevity.

Code:
    iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
    #iface_eth1="207.170.82.202 broadcast 207.0.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0"

iface_eth0="dhcp"
    #iface_eth0="-HD"

#alias_eth0="192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4"
    #broadcast_eth0="192.168.0.255 192.168.0.255"
    #netmask_eth0="255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0"
    so what do I configure manually. I just installed and had network capability within the install environment, which I did through slax via chroot, following the instructions for gentoos alternate install method, so I guess that is why net-setup is not working. There must be a way to turn the dev on and assign its designation, i know this isn't the correct terminology, to be eth0.

Not sure, seems like I've tried everything, but it will work eventually.

Thanks for your time,

John

Just Joined!

kernel support

I have a strong feeling that you might have not compiled in the support for your nic or at least done so as module and the module hasn't been loaded.

Please check the kernel settings and make sure you have the proper network driver compiled in as either builtin or as a module. When it is done as a module, of course, you have to make sure to load it before you use it.

AFAIK, the interface names are registered when the kernel detects the hardware and loads the proper driver for it. So, I would hope that you forgot to load the driver, because if you do have the driver and still it is not working, then I have no idea

lspci only shows what stuffs are actually present and they only pull the identification strings from the device itself. Which means is that just because it shows up on lspci doesn't mean it is correctly "recognized" by the kernel. It's just showing what's there. Loading a proper driver for it is a different matter.

to see what modules are currently available
    Code:
    modprobe -l
    to load a specific module
    Code:
    modprobe <module-name>
    to check currently loaded modules
    Code:
    lsmod
    to check the current kernel settings (assuming /usr/src/linux is properly symlinked)
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    to compile kernel & install modules
    Code:
    make && make modules_install
    As long as you have correctly set up dhcp server running at the other end of which your computer is connected to, be it another *nix box or just a stock router, your network settings look just fine. It even assumes dhcp when there is no settings present, which is how my /etc/conf.d/net is (it's an empty file!!!)

hope you have luck w/ your setup.

networkless gentoo is, quite frankly, useless LOL

I agree with ajck check under device drivers > network support > then find you lan settings and make sure you have then checked. If your not sure which ones try a bunch and see if it works.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    ok, I'll look around at the kernel config menu and recompile and post the results, thank guys, this looks promising, already found xircom drivers in the kernel...maybe

take care,

John

Linux Engineer
    ok I thought that I was onto something, the xircom drivers were not seleced in my menuconfig file, so I selected them, compiled the kernel, reboot, still same error, no netmount and eth0 not recognized. The xircom drivers were under the pcmcia section and not the section ethernet 10/100. So maybe that is the problem, do I unselect ethernet 10/100 and all devices if my card is pcmcia, which I think it is?

Getting closer I can feel it!

even manual bringing up of eth0 fails.../etc/init.d/net.eth0 start looks like it'll work but still returns the damn [!!]. I even tried selecting all ethernet drivers, recompiled, still fail on netmount and bringing up eth0 via DHCP...hmmm

thanks guys, anymore ideas?

John

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast