Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
well i'm feeling pretty stumped. First though do you have the 2.6 kernel or 2.4. I have 2.6 and under bus options > pccards > make sure you enable 16 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

well i'm feeling pretty stumped. First though do you have the 2.6 kernel or 2.4. I have 2.6 and under bus options > pccards > make sure you enable 16 and 32 bit PCMCIA and card bus options. And I would also enable anything resembling your card under 10 /100 ethernet.

try this and let me know. But I'm feeling like we've exhaused my knowledge base.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    ok guys, here is a post of the items that I have selected in my make menuconfig under /usr/src/linux..the kernel config items...maybe I should just use a genkernel, but please tell me if anything jumps out that I have not selected. The card is a xircom 10/100, and has ethernet and modem plugs, though I am not using the modem one of course. It is a pcmcia inserted into an older Dell Latitude CS. Slackware 10, Fedora, RedHat, Debian, and various live cd's have had no problems with this card. So I figure that maybe there is something in the kernel, which is 2.4, I figure since it works there’s no point to try 2.6, but maybe I need to.

Here are the kernel config options that I have checked, only the ones that have to do with net and pcmcia, though for brevity's sake

Code:
    Networking options  - - - >
    <*> Packet socket
    <*> Unix domain sockets
    &#91;*&#93;  TCP/IP networking

…

Network device support  - - - >
      &#91;*&#93;   Network device support
      <*> Dummy net driver support
       Ethernet &#40; 10 or 100Mbit &#41; - - - >
             &#91;*&#93; Ethernet &#40;10 or 100Mbit&#41;
     <*> PPP &#40;point-to-point protocol&#41; support
     <*> PPP support for async serial ports
     <*> PPP support for sync tty ports
        PCMCIA network device support - - - >
             &#91;*&#93; PCMCIA network device support
             <*> Xircom 16-bit PCMCIA support
             <*> Xircom CardBus support &#40;new driver&#41;
              <*> Xircom Tulip-like CardBus support &#40;old driver&#41;
    Both of these come under Networking options and Network device support.

not sure where bus options>pccards>16 and 32 bit pcmcia cards would be in the 2.4 kernel. I enabled all of the Xircom, not sure which is mine, but the first two should work; however, this is not under ethernet devices or network cards but under strictly pcmcia...not sure if that has any influence though.

Hmmm...hopefully something will jump out at one of you guys,

thanks alot for your time so far,

john
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!

dmesg and ifconfig -a

after loading the drivers, one thing to make sure is that you in fact have a kernel that recognizes your hardware.

to check that
    Code:
    dmesg
    or in this case it is an NIC so you can do
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    In both cases what you're supposed to look for is any messages related to eth0 or eth1. If the kernel recognizes the hardware and finds a matching driver for it, it will register under those names.

If you have gotten that far, then good news is that no more kernel recompile. From that point on, it's all /etc/conf.d/net or something...

Remember, key to solve complex problems is by divide-and-conquer and to do that make sure you progress in small increments.

One note here is that since you're dealing w/ a peripheral device, in order to save the trouble of recompiling the kernel and rebooting many times, it'd be advisable to compile device drivers as modules, so you can load/unload and test which ones are in fact the ones that you're looking for. Load something and check dmesg message, if it did something you'll definitely find some recent messages appended at the end.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    ok I will try that...

I am currently compiling a 2.6 kernel, before I was using a 2.4. I read about some pcmcia problems existing under the 2.4 with cardbus, so this maybe what I have to do...

after that if its still no go, everything will become a mod for a while...

thanks, I'll post again soon with the outcome...while praying in 3 languages to all the gods that I've heard of

John

Yeah I think going with 2.6 is probably the way to go good luck and I'll help all I can when you get new kernel up and going.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    well I selected all of the options that you guys indicated earlier, they were on the 2.6 kernel...which for now is sort of bloated and needs some tweaking but it works. I think that the 2.4 kernel counted pcmcia cardbus nics as pci cards, which is what was causing me the problem...

BUT IT WORKS!!!!

emerge lynx.....I'm online.......

Thank you so much for y'alls help...especially you spencerf and ajck!!!

I really appreciate everything....I HAVE AN ETH0

sweet! I was beginning to think that we weren't going to be able to get it going. Your welcome.

Just Joined!

np

np

Just Joined!
    Hi guys. I have been following along with this post and trying to solve a similar problem that i am having with gentoo. the livecd worked fine with the net, but now there are problems starting netmount. i have a router with dhcp . The difference is however, i don't have a nic card for ethernet, but my etherent is built into my asus a8v mobo. I have tried everything you guys have posted on this post and I am still unsuccessful. I might be a little screwed up on the settings i made in /etc/hosts so maybe that's it. please let me know what to do next. thank you.

Linux Engineer
    do you have the oneboard adapter checked in the ethernet 10/100 section of the kernel configuration. Which kernel are you using?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast