Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to Gentoo (actually using VidaLinux...but it's Gentoo based) and am learning about the full potential of portage. Firstly, I would like to say the portage is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Masked emerge packages

Hi,

I am new to Gentoo (actually using VidaLinux...but it's Gentoo based) and am learning about the full potential of portage. Firstly, I would like to say the portage is incredible. Although it takes a longer time to get packages installed, they work nicely when I get them (and I usually find what I am looking for).

One thing that I don't understand is how to emerge masked packages. Anytime I try, emerge stops and says I can't install it. How do you emerge masked packages? I'm assuming you can because why else would the packages be there?

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

This isn't the answer you want probably but will help.

Masked Packages

Code Listing 18: Portage warning about masked packages

!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "bootsplash" have been masked.

Code Listing 19: Portage warning about masked packages - reason

!!! possible candidates are:

- gnome-base/gnome-2.8.0_pre1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
    - lm-sensors/lm-sensors-2.8.7 (masked by: -sparc keyword)
    - sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20040808 (masked by: -* keyword)
    - dev-util/cvsd-1.0.2 (masked by: missing keyword)
    - media-video/ati-gatos-4.3.0 (masked by: package.mask)
    - sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r11 (masked by: profile)

When you want to install a package that isn't available for your system, you will receive this masking error. You should try installing a different application that is available for your system or wait until the package is put available. There is always a reason why a package is masked:

* ~arch keyword means that the application is not tested sufficiently to be put in the stable branch. Wait a few days or weeks and try again.
    * -arch keyword or -* keyword means that the application does not work on your architecture. If you believe the package does work file a bug at our bugzilla website.
    * missing keyword means that the application has not been tested on your architecture yet. Ask the architecture porting team to test the package or test it for them and report your findings on our bugzilla website.
    * package.mask means that the package has been found corrupt, unstable or worse and has been deliberately marked as do-not-use.
    * profile means that the package has been found not suitable for your profile. The application might break your system if you installed it or is just not compatible with the profile you use.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

go this page and read the relevant sections on portage.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Thanks for the reply spencerf,

The package I am trying to download (PHP-GTK) is not a priority, so I will wait a while or I might just trying getting the source from their website and trying that.

Thanks again,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.