Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie currently running gentoo kernel 2.4.22. A day ago I decided to add a bootsplash and the misery started! I followed these instructions -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplas...nd_splashutils . Anyhow, after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo (v 2.4.22) eth0 error...

I'm a newbie currently running gentoo kernel 2.4.22. A day ago I decided to add a bootsplash and the misery started!
    I followed these instructions -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplas...nd_splashutils.
    Anyhow, after finishing the steps (I think), I ended up having with a non-working network.. No internet connection, I can't ping, I can't ssh, etc.

The error looks like this...
    ERROR: Porblem starting needed services.
    "netmount" was not started.
    "sshd" was not started.
    eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found.

Actually my problem is similar to another one I have been following on this thread ->
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-37300.html

Please, help... I'm so stuck!
    Thanks in advance

daula7

Well I looked at the wiki you posted and the only thing that I can see which would effect your internet connection is if you changed something in your kernel. First question: did you use genkernel? If so then try cd /usr/src/linux then type make menuconfig while being root. Look for network devices and check (as discussed in previous thread) all applicable options. Also, I tried genkernel on my first gentoo install and it was not very reliable for choosing correct settings I would suggest manually configuring your kernel. Good luck.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I didn't use genkernel, I did it manually... I did the make menuconfig (again) and sure enough I had already enabled all the options as on previous thread except
    PCMCIA network device support - - - > coz it's not available on the menu.
    Also, I'm sure this option was not available/ enabled before I tried to do the flamebuffer/ splash stuff and I had no problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    do you have pcmcia-cs emerged an running in your default runlevel?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

The other thread was resolved by upgrading to kernel 2.6 I would suggest the same. Check out the thread and his resolution!
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone who came to my rescue.... I have been away.
    Anyway, I decided to upgrade, actually I reloaded gentoo affresh. I'm running 2.6.9 and everything looks good...
    thanks again