Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. So I want to burn dvds but since my root partition is ext3 (i think its 3 its either 3 or 2) but there is a 2GB filesize limit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

creating a new partition help please

Ok. So I want to burn dvds but since my root partition is ext3 (i think its 3 its either 3 or 2) but there is a 2GB filesize limit or something and I get an error when I try using dvdshrink (with wine) to try to shrink the iso I made of a movie. So I think having a filesystem with ReiserFS would solve this problem. But I don't know how to make a new filesystem without possibly screwing up my existing ones. Sorry if this is jumbled but I'm not real sure on the terminology and have been at this for a while.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Enthusiast
    so what exactly is the problem, are you out of diskspace? You can create a new partition by running fdisk, and then execute the following command to format it as ext3:
    Code:
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdxX
    obviously replacing the xX with the appropriate dev node, you can also make a reiserfs with:
    Code:
    mkreiserfs /dev/hdxX
    hope that helps

Ok. But how do I make sure that I don't write over existing data. For example I only have three partitions. Boot, Swap, and Primary. I have lots of space left on the primary but I don't know exactly where the data ends so I can safely start a new partition. If I run the command you have issued will it automatically know where to start new partition so I won't write over existing data. Thanks.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL