Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, sorry if this has already been explained and i'm just reading it badly, but I have almost exactly the same problem as the the thread below, but the solution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network interface error at startup (solved)

hi,
    sorry if this has already been explained and i'm just reading it badly, but I have almost exactly the same problem as the the thread below, but the solution to that problem hasn't worked for me:

Code:

*ERROR: Problem starting needed services
    *             "netmount" was not sarted
    the card is an Ether 16 Lan Card which is a tulip card, but (due to poor compatibility) uses the generic NE2000 driver (ne.ko). During the installation this was not detected, but worked fine after:

Code:

modprobe ne
    net-setup eth0
    I have now completed the install and configured the network to use DHCP which it did fine during the install. I also put the ne driver in the kernel's autoload file, however it fails to load this module at startup.
    I have tried making all the changes sugested in the other thread and checked that every option for support for generic NE2000 cards is enabled when i've compiled the kernel, but it still fails. I'm sure the answer is probably obvious, but i can't seem to think what it is. I think the solution is the get the ne.ko module loaded at startup or bulit into the kernel, but i don't know any other way than what i've already tried. Anyone got any ideas?

[/code]

Linux Engineer
    which kernel are you using? when I was using the 2.4 I had the same problem with a card that was supposed to use the tulip drivers, when I upgraded to the 2.6 kernel everything worked much better.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    i'm using the 2.6 gentoo-dev-sources kernel

Just Joined!
    i managed to solve this by recompiling the kernel to modulize all the network drivers instead of having them built in.