Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster Well progress so far, at the moment im running links, yep you heard links on the livecd, ive nearly done my installation, im compiling a kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster
    Well progress so far, at the moment im running links, yep you heard links on the livecd, ive nearly done my installation, im compiling a kernel now, wish me luck
    Good Luck

Linux Newbie
    Ran into a simple grub config issue, im clueless on to how to configure grub properly, but I'll google for a while, using SimplyMepis Live at the moment, 10x better than links lol.

Linux Newbie
    Ok update, umm ive managed to do my own custom config, using pure common sense, and I can now Boot The Kernel!!!!! Now there's another issue, vfs or whatever it is, it's probably because i have /boot and root on the same partition, but alas google is my friend.

Linux Enthusiast
    Actually that's pretty standard for gentoo users, it's how I have mine set up... what is the exact error, remember, you're on a linux forum, you don't have to rely on google, you can ask us for help too

Linux Newbie

handbook

I thought the 2004.3 handbook was good up till the end of install where you are supposed to use the package disk. It seemed to just kinda trail off at that point. Hell, I am noob and do not know what to install from the package disk. I don't even know what is on it. I still don't know if I missed installing something on this computer. *grumble*
    Ack!

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Well then...

I guess I'll just have to break down and read the manual... I've tried the 2004.3 install and I was so confused. I skimmed the guide, grew bored with it and never picked it up again. I'll try it again today. Thanks for the info.
    Skim reading the guide is one thing you CAN'T do with the gentoo install manual. or at least that's what i found. Unfortunately u do need to read most of the 70 pages or so of it. Though there are some optional parts that can be left out like setting up frame buffer, or the other stage to what install you're doing. (eg ur doin a stage 3, so can ignore stage 1 stuff)
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by smindinvern
    Actually that's pretty standard for gentoo users, it's how I have mine set up... what is the exact error, remember, you're on a linux forum, you don't have to rely on google, you can ask us for help too
    Cheers, well after finally configuring grub to boot the kerel properly, umm it comes up with something like this after booting up a bit.

kernel panic, vfs, cannot find root

Ive started my installation all over again, this time with a bog standard 2.4 kernel, and instead of compiling it myself, I used genkernel. Ummm I ran into a problem with mirrorselect aswell so I just ignored, unfortunatley though my portage sources are ****. 30k's tops.

Linux Enthusiast
    that error sounds like you haven't told it where to look for the root partition, and consequently the init scripts and everything else. If you run into the same problem with the new kernel, post your /boot/grub/grub.conf (menu.lst in some cases), you should have something on the kernel line that says something like:
    Code:
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.10-gentoo root=/dev/hdb1
    ^^just in case

Linux Newbie
    Yeah it does, Im trying not to give up, would 2005.0 be better installation?

Linux Enthusiast
    really it doesn't matter, as long as you have done emerge --sync you should be installing the latest versions of everything. It's still giving you the error, did you try specifying the root drive like I suggested? Don't give up though, I spent weeks fooling around with gentoo, installing it, but it's the best thing I've ever done to my computer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast