Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
OK, I broke down and finally printed out the handbook. The installer was great until right before Chrooting. I entered in: Code: nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf I went in and made ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Never thought this would make it on the popular thread page

OK, I broke down and finally printed out the handbook. The installer was great until right before Chrooting. I entered in:

Code:
    nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf

I went in and made

Code:
    and one space down I made:

Code:
    MAKEOPTS="j2"
    I then saved and exited. Everything went smoothly as I mounted the proc but then when I

Code:
    env-update
    it freaked out and said the makeopts was all invalid and told me not to use it. So I try to go back and change the file but it says the file and/or directory isn't there; perfect. I yelled some profanities and shut down my computer after that. I will try this again later today and not mess with anything in the nano editor (the code up above the screwed me). Is editing this file really that important or can I just skip it? I also noticed why it said the file was not found is because when I was in nano it said: "gentoo~", but when I started to chroot it went back to: "livecd#". Very odd...

I don't think I'll be editing that file again unless it's manditory, and I need to know exactly what to put in there if someone wouldn't mind telling me. Looking at the guide it seems I was about half way done to completing the install, which kind of pisses me off. I'll try again later today though, I will give you the thread I read regarding the rumor on the gui installer for 2005.0, I'll have that posted up later today. I'll try to keep you all posted on updates. I've heard Gentoo is very fast and really cool, I've also heard it has a great community and that it is quite powerful. Before the chrooting incident I really didn't think it was all that bad. Hopefully I can finish this project before my break ends.

Any helpful advice on my situation of the makeopts error would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Hmm... well I completely screwed that up. Sorry if you can't read the text, I've never coded before..

EDIT: I fixed it, heh the code was down at the bottom of the page, coding the entire thing.

Linux Enthusiast
    umm... just to make sure, you put O2, not zero2 (02) right? oh, and MAKEOPTS should be -j2 instead of j2.

1. Yes I did do an O in -O2

2. Screwed up on my part, I meant to put a dash in j2 in my reply.

My main question is if this is really manditory to make Gentoo work. I don't want to restart the whole installation because of one small mistake again.

Linux Enthusiast
    If what's mandatory? You don't have to restart the install, you can probably just fix whatever you screwed up rather than restarting the install I don't even have a makeopts, it should default to, well, whatever's default

Linux Newbie
    Gentoo is probably excellent, but unfortunatley I've given up, and my debian captors drive me back into the pink and white blindness, sorry it's just this is too hard , and Im a veteran debian user, so it makes it worse for me to stay off debian. If you notice my distro's always change to something then change back to debian again, I had a spell with fedora, but it was too much of a rip off RedHat, which may I add Is pure ass kickery, ummm so I keep trying, at the moment Im having a go on vector linux, just gotta find some cd's to burn the iso.

Linux Enthusiast
    meh, don't worry about it, debian is a good distro, I've heard it's very fast too (not as fast as gentoo )

Linux Newbie
    Yes it out preforms all commercial distros, due to being anti-bloat, when I install debian, I just run the good old ftp install of sarge and let it do it, thanks to that you have more options, so crappy things such as SQL servers which only certain people need don't have to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMonster
    , I had a spell with fedora, but it was too much of a rip off RedHat, which may I add Is pure ass kickery
    Fedora is the current community branch of redhat.... just so you know..
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Umm, don't you think I know already?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast