Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
CofeeMonster: I ran into some issues with grub too, I would suggest trying LILO... Not as fancy boot-screen as grub, but it works good enough. Just to mention: The first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

CofeeMonster: I ran into some issues with grub too, I would suggest trying LILO... Not as fancy boot-screen as grub, but it works good enough.
    Just to mention: The first time I installed gentoo (I have done it 3 times), I did'nt get the network to work, and alsaconf wouldnt work because I compiled ALSA into the kernel, and the font was wrong so the text was basicly unreadable. In addittion, I chose the wrong keymap... If something goes wrong, just boot the gentoo-livecd, mount the partitions and chroot into it, and there you go and probably find the problem...

Just one thing to say: Dont give up, you will make it!

Linux Newbie
    DISCLAIMER: I didn't read this whole topic. Just blindly throwing my two cents.

I've only been using Linux for two weeks. Before using Linux I knew nothing, zip, zero, nada about it. Or command lines. I detested command lines (they still frighten me). And I installed Gentoo last week. It's now my desktop/gaming computer's OS. I erased Micro$haft from my machine too.

The installation? It was tough. But I paid attention (Linux is built to be straightforward, if still foreign to me) to the output of my terminals and the installation manual. And to the people on this board and its IRC channel. The installation, all told, took me three days. But not only did I learn a TON about Linux, I had a good time. And now I'm rewarded with it. Don't wuss out, keep trying to get Gentoo going!
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dachnaz
    DISCLAIMER: I didn't read this whole topic. Just blindly throwing my two cents.

I've only been using Linux for two weeks. Before using Linux I knew nothing, zip, zero, nada about it. Or command lines. I detested command lines (they still frighten me). And I installed Gentoo last week. It's now my desktop/gaming computer's OS. I erased Micro$haft from my machine too.

The installation? It was tough. But I paid attention (Linux is built to be straightforward, if still foreign to me) to the output of my terminals and the installation manual. And to the people on this board and its IRC channel. The installation, all told, took me three days. But not only did I learn a TON about Linux, I had a good time. And now I'm rewarded with it. Don't wuss out, keep trying to get Gentoo going!
    Good words and an even better encouragement. I was with slackware for a long time before I did a gentoo stage one, and the 2 day install that it took me was worth every moment. I am not the greatest with the command line, but I am learning it more and more...every hardship is worth it for a stable gentoo system. slackware took me about 5 minutes to boot on my old labtop, but I timed gentoo at 18 seconds!!! Still working on sound, but hey, I have a kickass system on a piece of **** computer and it FLIES!!!

Good work Dachnaz, I hope I get to read a lot more of your posts, this forum and the linux world need more people like you who jump in headfirst off a cliff and never look back!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Gentoo is the ultimate Linux distro in terms of configuration power, IMO. It used to be "get your feet wet with something else, and then give Gentoo a go", but there is a new option on the block...Vidalinux. Vidalinux is a binary install of Gentoo using the Anaconda installer. It's not pure-Gentoo, but once it's up and running, it works like Gentoo. It might be a good option for someone who is interested in using a Gentoo machine (think portage!), but doesn't have the time or inclination to install Gentoo. Once one has spent some time learning how to use a Gentoo-based distro, at some point in the future they can do a true Gentoo install if desired.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    CofeeMonster: I ran into some issues with grub too, I would suggest trying LILO... Not as fancy boot-screen as grub, but it works good enough.
    Just to mention: The first time I installed gentoo (I have done it 3 times), I did'nt get the network to work, and alsaconf wouldnt work because I compiled ALSA into the kernel, and the font was wrong so the text was basicly unreadable. In addittion, I chose the wrong keymap... If something goes wrong, just boot the gentoo-livecd, mount the partitions and chroot into it, and there you go and probably find the problem...

Just one thing to say: Dont give up, you will make it!
    Thanks , Im going to try again very soon, just real busy at the moment with school.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4