Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Will Gentoo have a graphical loader for '05? I've always been too lazy to read the handbook so I never wanted to do the old hellish install of text and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Will Gentoo have a GUI loader for 2005.0?

Will Gentoo have a graphical loader for '05? I've always been too lazy to read the handbook so I never wanted to do the old hellish install of text and compiling. I've heard a rumor that a gui loader would be in this time around, is this true? Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think so... I can't see why there would be, gentoo has always been a compile-it-yourself distro, that's something that you can't really accomplish with a graphical installer.

Well then...

I guess I'll just have to break down and read the manual... I've tried the 2004.3 install and I was so confused. I skimmed the guide, grew bored with it and never picked it up again. I'll try it again today. Thanks for the info.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Quote Originally Posted by smindinvern
    I don't think so... I can't see why there would be, gentoo has always been a compile-it-yourself distro, that's something that you can't really accomplish with a graphical installer.
    I remember reading that the devs weren't planning to automate the install in any way/shape/form anytime in the forseeable future. This is a Good Thing (tm), IMHO. As you stated, you can't really customize it 100% from installation with a GUIish installer. If there were an automated Gentoo installer, I'd have to switch to LFS.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    don't worry, it is not really that hellish, and most of it does make since once you read the handbook, its really easy to remember, you'll learn alot about a great distro and get a kick-ass system to boot
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

i deffenatly wouldnt want to see an automated installer but a gui installer that presented the next step for you would be nice. i screwed up twice before finaly lucking into a working install.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie

Re: Will Gentoo have a GUI loader for 2005.0?

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Will Gentoo have a graphical loader for '05? I've always been too lazy to read the handbook so I never wanted to do the old hellish install of text and compiling. I've heard a rumor that a gui loader would be in this time around, is this true? Thanks.
    Yep same here, can't be arsed to read the handbook and install it because it's got no-installer, hell I would be contempt with a text-installer let alone a gui one.

Sky
    Just Joined!
    I just installed 2005.0 and it went rather smoothly......suprising since I've never done this before.

And the handbook isn't a bad read.........at least look at if. If you really don't want to, I've seen a bunch of sites with basic instructions (google is your friend).

Linux Newbie
    Heh, I just tried to install my 2004.3 gentoo, it sucked, well for a start things on messed up on part 7 of the handbook, plus my portage make.conf got screwed up during mirrorlist configuration, it gave me a load of **** like funny characters, about 55,000 lines of it.

Linux Newbie
    Well progress so far, at the moment im running links, yep you heard links on the livecd, ive nearly done my installation, im compiling a kernel now, wish me luck

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast