Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a fairly new gentoo system up and running but I get one recurring problem: Random reboots issued by root! It goes something like this on all my consoles: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Random root reboots

I have a fairly new gentoo system up and running but I get one recurring problem: Random reboots issued by root! It goes something like this on all my consoles:
    Code:
    The system is going down for a reboot NOW! Issued by root &#40;console&#41; on <date>
    Any idea of logs i can check or any thing that might be causing that problem? I just changed my passwords in hopes that this stops the prob but we shall see. I really hope my box isnt rooted
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Re: Random root reboots

Quote Originally Posted by gwalters
    I have a fairly new gentoo system up and running but I get one recurring problem: Random reboots issued by root! It goes something like this on all my consoles:
    Code:
    The system is going down for a reboot NOW! Issued by root &#40;console&#41; on <date>
    Any idea of logs i can check or any thing that might be causing that problem? I just changed my passwords in hopes that this stops the prob but we shall see. I really hope my box isnt rooted
    Check out /var/log/* for anything unusual and check for root kits:

http://www.chkrootkit.org/

Also, has this happened since you changed your passwords? The odd thing is that it's from console, though...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    I already checked /var/log/* and didnt find anything usefull. Also, I ran chkrootkit a few days ago and it didnt come up w/ anything. As far as changing the passwords (its annoying using new pw's :P) i did that about 10 hours ago (same as current uptime) and it hasnt done it. But, it was up for ~2 days before it did it for the last time.