Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am a total newby that has been coveting a unix box for a while now...I recently tried suse 9.1 on my old gateway dinosuar but the display ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

display problem, kinda funny

Hi all, I am a total newby that has been coveting a unix box for a while now...I recently tried suse 9.1 on my old gateway dinosuar but the display problems were a total nightmare!!! However, on advice from a friend I tried libranet 2.81 instead. It isn't a nightmare like suse but does something kinda odd...when I get to the desktop the bottom is about 1/3 of the way up the screen and there is black and white lines/static below it. HOWEVER, when I hit ctrl+alt+f1 and go to the command line, when I come back (with ctrl+alt+f7) the screen is near perfect?!? The only issue is some dialog boxes are cut off at the bottom (it's almost as if the they are hiding behind the taskbar). I feel I am so close to finally getting this running. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if anyone can help I would be very appreciative!!!

g6 266 mhz proc
    192 mb ram
    8.2 gig hd
    ev500 monitor
    30-69 hor sync
    47-100 vert refresh

Thanks in advance

can you post your xorg.conf file. This should provide some answers.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

file location

where is this file located?

i'm not sure about suse about it should be the same:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

file not found

I looked all around inside my /etc file and found neither the xorg.conf file or the /X11 directory. are there any other files or directories that I can look into? you know that I am using libranet/kde not suse right?
    thanks in advance

Linux Newbie
    open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    find / -name 'xorg.conf'
    it may be XF86Config-4 you want though..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Oh. You must be using xfree instead of X11. Try googling for xfree and changing configure file or something like that. But if you find it please post and hopefully we'll be able to help.

Linux Newbie
    Click here
    Should shed some light..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!

update

I am very sorry Spencer, I DO have a X11 directory in /etc I found it when I used the find command for the XF86Config-4 file. I forgot that unix is case sensitive and I was using straight up ls rather than ls | more. So... I did find the XF86Config-4 file but there is no sign of the xorg.conf file anywhere.

-->Also, I ran the adminmenu program and when I rebooted it was worse...BUT...I went to the command line and returned and the desktop was PERFECT?!?

I might ust accept this as is unless you guys can help me fix this, but otherwise thank you very much.

One final question off topic...what is the furry brown bear looking thing by your name spencer? I recognize it but don't remember exactly what it is.

Thanks again.

check the link shalamabobbi listed and post that config file if you have that one. You you have to have either the xorg.conf or the one in that post or you don't have an X server. If that works post. If your display seems to be working fine now then you're all set. It seems from trying to guess at your problem that you might have the wrong video driver selected. But I'm not sure.

My avatar is just something that I saw while searching around the net one day and I thought it was kind of disturbingly funny and somewhat symbolic and my weirdness ( Oh...I mean uniqueness...ha)