Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I'm trying to get my wireless card to work on an older IBM thinkpad i series 550mhz 128 mb ram etc. I have all the pcmcia options enable in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem with PCMCIA (SOLVED)

So I'm trying to get my wireless card to work on an older IBM thinkpad i series 550mhz 128 mb ram etc. I have all the pcmcia options enable in the kernel and I emerged pcmcia-cs as the gentoo install handbook said and added it to the runtime but I get an error message saying that it can't start pcmcia no socket found. this isn't the exact message but I'm emerging openoffice right now so I can't get the exact message. I have tried a whole bunch of options in the kernel but have had no luck. I know how to get the adapter up an running with ndiswrapper but first I need the pcmcia socket to work.

It also says something about cardmanager not being able to work related with the socket error. I know that this isn't the best post as far as information goes but if any has a similar computer and similar problem let me know thanks a bunch. I will post actual error when done emerging. Thanks.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    are you sure you should be using pcmcia, I know some nics that are pcmcia do need to be accessed like they were regular ethernet, depending on the driver, I know that the tulip and xircom families were like that with the 2.4 kernel, not sure if this pertains to you at all, but it might be something that you should look for.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I know that when I was using the gentoo live cd to do the initial install the lights on my wireless card lit up. This means that the pcmcia socket or whatever it is called was at least working and recognized that there was a card in the slot. The card didn't work but I know that that is because there are no native linux drivers for my card. I can use ndiswrapper to solve this though. But after install the lights do not light up on the card anymore. So I need to figure out how to get them to do that. I think the problem is that it is an old computer and maybe the kernel pcmcia support doesn't work. So I'm going to try to take out kernel support and just use the rc-update pcmcia support from the pcmcia-cs package that I emerged. I haven't been able to try yet because I'm still going on hour 20 with openoffice and emerging...but I'm almost got my little internet, wordprocessing, small, cheap, quiet, kick-@@@ system set up.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok how stupid am I. I forgot to mount /boot therefore I wasn't copying over my arch/i386/boot/bzimage file to /boot/kerel-2.6
    or my System.map file.

Had a friend over he's like are you copying over files. I'm like uh sh**** that's the stupid mistake I was making.

live and learn.