Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by Sky If you have 2 computers, it's the way to go. One with the handbook open , and the other getting gentoofied!! Or u dont mind printing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky
    If you have 2 computers, it's the way to go. One with the handbook open , and the other getting gentoofied!!
    Or u dont mind printing the 70 page handbook out.... that's what i did
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    If you have two computers networked, the install can be made easier. When you first boot the Gentoo CD-ROM, there are instructions for starting the ssh server. Start it, change the root password (for security), then ssh to it from the other machine. On the other machine, have the handbook up, and you can copy and paste commands from the web browser to the ssh client screen. This saves a lot of typing and potential mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by starrbuck
    If you have two computers networked, the install can be made easier. When you first boot the Gentoo CD-ROM, there are instructions for starting the ssh server. Start it, change the root password (for security), then ssh to it from the other machine. On the other machine, have the handbook up, and you can copy and paste commands from the web browser to the ssh client screen. This saves a lot of typing and potential mistakes.

That is SUCH a cool idea! lol

I had thought about the next install occurring over ssh cos of what someone said on the IRC channel..... but not actually thought about cp/paste.... though i'm sure once ssh'd in i would have cp/pasted it lol

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Good luck, Cofeemonster, I am 14 and I did it, so I'm pretty sure you can too, espesially with Gentoo's excellent documentation... I think I'm going to reinstall Gentoo myself, no other distro really satisfied me... By the way, you can have both gnome and kde installed, but it's preferrable with only one of them, at least if you want optimal performance. It's optional, but I would suggest emerging "ccache", it speeds up recompilation. Just post away if something won't work!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley

I had thought about the next install occurring over ssh cos of what someone said on the IRC channel..... but not actually thought about cp/paste.... though i'm sure once ssh'd in i would have cp/pasted it lol
    Thanks for the compliment! The only downside, as I see it, is that if the emerge takes a long time, you have to leave that window up on the second computer, and, of course, leave the second computer on as well.

Linux Engineer
    Thanks for the compliment! The only downside, as I see it, is that if the emerge takes a long time, you have to leave that window up on the second computer, and, of course, leave the second computer on as well.
    Minimize the terminal-emulator or switch to another virtual desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by starrbuck

if you can, install screen and log out and jus log bk in to check it every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    By the way, you can have both gnome and kde installed, but it's preferrable with only one of them
    yes, but this wont stop u running apps that are designed for both, just install the libs for the other WM, and you can run KDE apps in gnome and vice versa

Linux Engineer
    yes, but this wont stop u running apps that are designed for both, just install the libs for the other WM, and you can run KDE apps in gnome and vice versa
    Yeah, thats obvious, if you optimize everything for gnome (-kde -qt gnome gtk gtk2) and try installing konqueror, the KDE-libraryes would automaticly be fetched and installed by portage. Since konqueror is based on the kde-libraries, dropping kde-support is not an option, and konqueror will be compiled with both qt and kde support anyway.

Linux Engineer
    CofeeMonster: I had that problem with the mirrorselect to, but just skipping that part works fine...

you say u both had probs with the mirrorselect? I did too.

Not in that it didn't work, just in that it didn't select the best mirror AT ALL! Instead it picked 4 mirrors (none of which worked) The most stupid thing is that my ISP actually has a mirror, so i download stuff at 250kbps off them lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast