Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Gentoo looks like pure ass kickery, and portage looks the same, I really want a piece of that, but umm, Ive just had no luck with installing it, I mean ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I wish I could Install Gentoo

Gentoo looks like pure ass kickery, and portage looks the same, I really want a piece of that, but umm, Ive just had no luck with installing it, I mean even someone a year older than me can do it, so it must be theoretically possible fo me being able to install it

the easiest way i found to install gentoo was to open op the docs in firefox (the view that shows the ENTIRE manual, and then copy and paste it into OO Writer, then print off from there.....

Yes it is 70 pages long, but i much prefer to read from paper infront of me rather than a different VT.

Once you have this, set aside a weekend (yes, it can take a long time, u should be able to do it in a day, but just incase ) and just crack ur way thru the manual.

The good news i can give u is that u dont need to use ALL 70 pages for a stage 3 install

btw, if u dont mind my asking, how old are you?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    13, but Ive been with computers since a early age so I know quite alot, like at the moment im running debian.

eliot@cpc2-stok2-6-0-cust69:~$ uptime
    01:57:48 up 34 min, 2 users, load average: 0.69, 0.30, 0.26
    eliot@cpc2-stok2-6-0-cust69:~$ uname -a
    Linux cpc2-stok2-6-0-cust69 2.6.8-1-386 #1 Thu Nov 11 12:18:43 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Linux Enthusiast
    you could always do a stage 3 install, it gives you a base system to work with, then you compile everything 'extra' from there, if you like you can go back and compile the base system so it's like you've done a stage one I'm 14, and I've managed to get it working, and you say you've been with computers for a long time, I know you can too if you want too
    (with a stage three you're _much_ less likely to run into errors)

Yeh, it was a stage3 that i did, and there's just ONE thing that annoyed me with following the handbook..... it didn't say (when configuring the kernel) anything about compiling framebuffer support, so when i got to that bit, i had to re-compile the kernel! lol

But then, hey, i have written all sorts of notes all over my handbook now, jus as a reminder hehe.

Linux Enthusiast
    I didn't compile framebuffer support, because when I rebooted initially, it didn't work, then I fixed it later, but eventually took it out (don't need it)

ah, i decided to install it as i thought at the time i would try and get bootsplash working, thougxh not even looked at that, though i do have the boot sequence showing at atm

You can definetly do it coffee. I think once you get over the shock of the handbook gentoo is one of the easiest distros because of portage and everything is so well documented, supported, and many many knowledgeable people out there willing to help. So give it a shot and we'll be here to help.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Also when u install, if u connect to the net thru the ethernet card on ur computer, what u might wanna do is setup the network, and load up irssi, then you can get on to irc channels for help, the freenode #gentoo one (though quite full) is the ideal solution, though you could also join the forum's #linuxforums channel, no doubt someone using gentoo will be in there, i am usually there.

Sky
    Just Joined!
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If I can install Gentoo as a first-timer (with some of my linux friends calling me insane and slightly masochistic) and actually get it to work, you can too.

If you have 2 computers, it's the way to go. One with the handbook open , and the other getting gentoofied!!

You can do it!!!!! Coffee can do anything!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast