Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I am very interested in trying Gentoo and will most likely install (or try to) during the summer. I have a copy of Gentoo 2004.2 and was wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2004.2 to 2005.0

Hi all,

I am very interested in trying Gentoo and will most likely install (or try to) during the summer. I have a copy of Gentoo 2004.2 and was wondering if I would be okay with installing from that or if I should get 2005.0. Any major improvements or differences?

Also, how long would you estimate it takes to do a stage 1, stage 2 or stage 3 on a laptop with a P4 2.66Ghz and 512MB of ram.

By the way, is there a download link for the handbook instead of having to read it online? Is the guide on the CD?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

It's always best to download and install the most current release of gentoo. This is because the guide and everything is based on the newest release. The changes that occur I'm not exactly sure but there are always improvements and newer is better. The handbook can be viewed as one single page and be printed. Stage 1 will probably take 2 days or so. Little less for stage 2 and bought a day for stage 3. This does depend on how much you plan on emerging. Such as kde or gnome. These take a long time. Even firefox takes a long time. Or openoffice. You can always compile stuff like firefox and openoffice from source but you are not taking full advantage of your gentoo system (especially if you went to all the effort of doing a stage 1)

But most of the time is just the computer working so if you have stuff to do...do it. Like sleep or whatever. Actual time typing stuff in once you get used to it only ranks in the hours range.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Enthusiast
    I would definitely download the latest release. Stage one should take about 2-3 days, stage 2 about 2 days, and stage 3 less than a day

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of things I forgot to ask were is Gentoo fairly easy to dual-boot? I will definetly be dual booting so if it is not dual-boot friendly, I will most likely not install it.

Secondly, where can I find this one single page for the handbook? I can't find it and I keep going back to the online version.

Thirdly, is it worth doing a stage 1 compared to a stage two or stage three? I am focused on doing a stage one but if there is really no reason to do a stage one as opposed to a stage 3, then I will likely go with a stage 3.

Lastly, does the handbook instruct me how to do pretty much everything like setting up ethernet and video & sound or does it just go over the installation? I havent had a chance to look it over yet.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

1: this is link for handbook and just pick one page with your architecture probably x86: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

2: Yes it is easy to dual boot. I would suggest doing your windows install first. Then pop in gentoo install disk. Of course make sure you left room for your gentoo install when you did the windows install. I would use grub and it is well documented to help you. The handbook explains all of this.

3. The handbook tells you everything basically to get to a running system. Then on the gentoo site there are additional pages about installing X and gnome or kde, sound through alsa, and the such.

4. Differing minds come to different conclusions. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you plan on changing i.e optimizing your system through USE flags and have a specific system in mind then try a stage 1. OR if you want to learn a little bit more about linux and especially gentoo try it. I personally imho don't think it worth the time. But that is my opinion. I think it is a good experience but it takes a lot longer to do. But many people will say the opposite and are die hard stage 1 installers and you might be too. So read the handbook it gives good reasons to choose either of the 3 stages and go from there.

Good luck and enjoy gentoo. I really like gentoo compared to the other distros it just seems to make much more sense to me because you set everything up. and portage rocks.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

If u want the handbook on ur computer or printed off, just open the handbook in the view that shows u EVERYTHING in one page, and then copy it and paste it into OOo/ *cough word *cough*

On my computer it pasted into OOo as 70 pages that i jus printed off.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    The documentation also lay on the CD...
    Code:
    links2 -driver fb /mnt/cdrom/docs/handbook/html/index.html

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will keep all of this in mind if I do decide to try Gentoo.

Thanks again,
    Bryan

Linux Engineer
    Another difference: mirrorselect worked for me in 2005.0, and instead of the script fetcing for you, you can decide which mirrors to select yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Another difference: mirrorselect worked for me in 2005.0, and instead of the script fetcing for you, you can decide which mirrors to select yourself.
    That's cool

Tho i'm thinking is there much point in upgrading as such, it doesn't seem to me as though gentoo has versions as such? Am i right or wrong?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast