Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have fvwm installed along with KDE and I was just wondering how do you get fvwm running without first starting a different window manager I get an error message ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FVWM

I have fvwm installed along with KDE and I was just wondering how do you get fvwm running without first starting a different window manager I get an error message that I will submit in about 30 minutes when i get home...The error message says that it cannot open fvwm in the current screen could someone please help me? the only way i can get it to work is but getting into KDE then making FVWM replace kdm with FVWM please help me...

Linux Engineer
    Do I get you right, you wan't to start FVWM instead of KDE? Run this as a normal user:
    Code:
    echo exec fvwm > ~.xinitrc
    Replace "fvwm" with the fvwm-binary, I don't use fvwm so I don't know what to replace it with...

Just Joined!
    If he restarts KDM does it not re-read the available sessions and give him a FVWM session?

I know on my Gentoo box GDM reads /etc/X11/Sessions for available sessions.
    I presume KDM does the same?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I dunno, I don't use kdm, neither gdm. I just login to the console and type "startx", and the .xinitrc-file gets runned... If you want to login to console by default (Not start X), just type this into a console:
    Code:
    rc-update remove xdm

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I dunno, I don't use kdm, neither gdm. I just login to the console and type "startx", and the .xinitrc-file gets runned... If you want to login to console by default (Not start X), just type this into a console:
    Code:
    rc-update remove xdm
    It's rc-update del xdm.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    I always forget that one, and everytime I have to check the man