Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
correct me if I wrong but I looked in the handbook and it appears that your CHOST setting should be: i686-pc-linux-gnu .........instead of what you have. Unless you did a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

correct me if I wrong but I looked in the handbook and it appears that your CHOST setting should be: i686-pc-linux-gnu .........instead of what you have. Unless you did a stage 3 and this was the predefined setting. The guide specifially warns not to change CHOST it you did a stage3 so if you did a stage 3 then I'm wrong and don't change it! But the guide shows this as the setting for 64 bit arch. If thats what you have.

just as a suggestion you should also have some USE settings for optimization and CFLAGS setting.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    The CHOST setting is perfectly right if you build for an AMD64-CPU.

I am currently building Gentoo from Stage 1, and got stuck in Stage 2 for the second time now. First time, dialog complained about missing ncursesw, which I could fix by
    Code:
    USE="unicode" emerge --nodeps ncurses
    Now I got stuck with the same error you had (I guess, I would be sure if you had quoted one more line, my xorg (or rather ld) was complaining about not finding -lfl (which, indeed, was not there)). Thanks to the hint given in this forum, emerging flex did the job for me (even with very aggressive optimizations (-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=opteron)

I hope, the rest of the install goes smooth this time. I installed x86 Gentoo the other day, which worked really well (and is as fast as one can get, i believe)!

Just Joined!
    I had (changed from have ) the same problem but only on one computer (I have Gentoo on 3 different computers 2xPentium4 + 1Amd64) the one with Pentium4 and in 2 days in between I did/tried installation on both Pentium4 computers (though not identical). To be more correct on the first one (where I succeed) I "just" did reinstallation because I've lost boot-partition (long story to make it simple I wrote grub on wrong partition because I forgot that I swaped the drives - I have laptop with two disks - winxp/linux with linux on secondary disk - to be able to boot from cd-rom I had to put disk2 in place of the first one and when I've got this briliant idea to put xp-disk in grub I was already forgotten what I did in the begining - something I did 10 months ago).
    Any way to make it short: "emerge flex" fixed it.
    Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I emerge flex an it work also for me

Just Joined!

Any other suggestions? Installed flex...

First, here is my error list;

main.o(.text+0xa15) In function 'clear_result_window':
    : undefined reference to 'set_text'
    main.o(.data+0x400): In function 'interpret':
    : undefined reference to 'run_test'
    gram.o(.text+0x410): In function 'yyparse':
    : undefined reference to 'run_test'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[4]: *** [xgc] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1/work/xc/programs/xgc
    make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/~/programs'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/~/xc'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/~/xc'
    make: *** [World] Error 2

And here are the results of --pretend (-p) along with --update (-u) Deep (-D) and verbose (-v);
    [Ebuild N] x11-base/x11-6.8.2-r1 -3dfx -3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc -font-server -hardened -insecure-drivers +ipv6 -minimal -mmx +nls +opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts +type1-fonts (-uclibc) -xprint +xv 0kb
    [Ebuild U] app-arch/cpio-2.6-r3 [2.6-r1] +nls 437kb
    [Ebuild N] app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r2 kb
    [Ebuild N] sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.5-r1 -debug 20kb
    [Ebuild N] x11-terms/xterm-200-r1 -Xaw3d -debug -toolbar +truetype -unicode 681kb

And finally I have a pentium M celeron in a hp pavilion ze4900 (ze4935wm to be exact) my make.conf looks pretty much like '-02 march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer' I have no use variables included or excluded, just nice plain an empty. MAKEOPTS="-j2" and CONFIG_PROTECT="-*"
    I've installed stage3 i686 and my portage~.gz from gentoo's mirrors while running from a live-cd dist from 20050303. I downloaded my distfiles/* from gentoo's mirrors also and emerge --sync daily. I've even tried using outdated packages, and installed flex too! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2