Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

The reason it doesn't prefer either is that you compile it yourself, and that way can choose which one (or both) to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharjade
    Hmm, I wonder if someone has done a good review of them out there. A bit more of the WHY people like one or the other.
    This debate has been raging since the dawn of time, it seems. It boils down to personal preference. Both offer all the features you need to use your computer effectively, they just implement those features slightly differently. We can't tell you which you'll prefer; just try them both.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    why use kde or gnome, enlightenment and many others are muchfaster. Save your system resources for what really matters
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    why use kde or gnome, enlightenment and many others are muchfaster. Save your system resources for what really matters
    Like rendering all those demons in Doom 3?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Like rendering all those demons in Doom 3?
    as soon as I get a graphics card
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    I was just curious if there was reviews that just described the differences.
    Ack!

I was just curious if there was reviews that just described the differences.
    Suprisingly, I haven't found one yet. Most are just "KDE sucks" or "GNOME sucks" kinds of reviews... Ok. I'll bite. Here are some differences I noticed (keep in mind I'm a KDE fan).

KDE offers tons of configurability options, which also means lots of clutter in the general GUI. Gnome is more rigid with how the GUI looks and operates, but offers a more "utilitarian" appearance that some people may find "cleaner".

KDE uses Qt libraries from Trolltech. Gnome uses GTK libraries. Applications that use one or the other will work best on the desktop environment that uses their chosen library (for instance Ksirtet works best on KDE because it was made with Qt, whereas GAIM works best on Gnome because it uses GTK).

Gnome is trying very hard to emulate the Mac OS X style of interface. The maintainers have said this specifically (can't find the link to the story). Basically this means "looks slick but not as configurable".

Gnome offers something similar to the MS Windows registry for keeping track of preferences for applications and such, called gconf if I remember correctly. KDE has no one place to store all these preferences, unless you count the .kde directory.

It's about an even split as to how many distributions out there use GNOME or KDE by default. Novell uses GNOME on one product (Novell Linux Desktop) and KDE on the other (Novell SuSE Linux).

I've noticed no difference in performance between the two (and if you're looking for performance, use something like Fluxbox instead) but some people claim GNOME is faster than KDE. Of course, some people claim the world is flat, so who knows.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    THANK YOU , that intelectual analysis is what Im looking for. Now we just need one of those discussions for the "OTHER" window managers.

I find I am in a quandry with GNOME. I like its slick appearance, but I dislike the Apple quality in it from a PRACTICAL reason. I am right handed and have learned that my mouse tends towards the right lower quadrant of the screen, and thus have found that to reduce repetition and ease of tasks, that I prefer mouse duties to either be in that quadrant or on the right sidebar or bottom sidebar.

Other than that, I have played a little around with both but have little sence why one is better than the other (which is what I searh for to make me happy). For example, years ago I tried many different browsers and found one (Opera) that I LOVE and could go on and on about. Ideal I would like to find the same in a linux Window manager (and from what I have been reading a file manager too, right?).
    Ack!

Ideal I would like to find the same in a linux Window manager (and from what I have been reading a file manager too, right?).
    That's a good topic to discuss next, the difference between a "Desktop Environment" and a "Window Manager". GNOME and KDE are DE's, meaning they include file managers, window managers, and a host of other applications packaged together.

Contrast that with a "Window Manager" which is just something that gives you windows and program menus. They may or may not have their own file manager, and may or may not provide you with an actual "desktop" (meaning places to stick icons, a trash bin, etc...). Window managers such as Blackbox, Fluxbox, and *I believe* Enlightenment offer you just the windows and the file menu, with no file managers or other related applications. You're of course free to use any file manager you like in those cases.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants