Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am thinking of switching from Debian to Gentoo and figured this would be the best place to ask for pointers before I finalize my decision and begin the switch. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian To Gentoo

I am thinking of switching from Debian to Gentoo and figured this would be the best place to ask for pointers before I finalize my decision and begin the switch. Also, I was wondering how much more optimized for my system would Gentoo be over Debian? (See Sinnature)

Hi nwoods29321,

From what I understand, you may not notice the optimizations as much if your computer is powerful (which yours seems to be). It comes down to wait times for compiling and if you truly do want a built from source distro (this being Gentoo).

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    But anyway, you have more control. If you won't need PHP on your server, you can remove PHP support from (almost) all the installed applications, which itself may make the server faster. (Just an example, you probably want PHP)

Linux Newbie
    Well have no worries about dual booting, it's really easy to configure grub to boot windows.
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

I'm not sure about the switch from debian to gentoo, but I switched from FC3 on my desktop which has about the same configuration as you but with more ram and there was a noticeable increase in speed. The biggest difference probably lies in what you choose as a windows manager. On my laptop which is an old IBM thinkpad with only 550mhz processor and 128mb of ram I have ICEwm and have tried fluxbox and this laptop runs almost as fast as my other laptop under xp and almost FC3 and it had 2.2ghz processor and 256mb ram. So Gentoo is fast. There also is a great documentation project and a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help. Good luck and hope this helps.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    But anyway, you have more control. If you won't need PHP on your server, you can remove PHP support from (almost) all the installed applications, which itself may make the server faster. (Just an example, you probably want PHP)
    So in otherwords, I can remove the PHP for my desktop, and my file/game server, but still have it on my webserver? Which sounds great for my file/game server since it is an HP Apollo 720 workstation (1st generation PA-RISC processor).

Linux Engineer
    Yup, just like that. You can remove support for the most, but for example if you try installing konqueror kdelibs is needed to functionate, and therefore the USE="-kde" wont remove kde-support for konqueror. But if the KDE-support is optional, it would be removed with the USE="-kde" flag.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Yup, just like that. You can remove support for the most, but for example if you try installing konqueror kdelibs is needed to functionate, and therefore the USE="-kde" wont remove kde-support for konqueror. But if the KDE-support is optional, it would be removed with the USE="-kde" flag.
    So I could put USE="-php -gnome" in my /etc/make.conf and it would remove php and gnome from erverything that is is not rewuired but for Gaim, it would leave the gnome in is since it is required?

Linux Newbie
    Yes, pretty much. Portage is the best thing about gentoo, it's smart and sleek
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.