Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok here is my problem. I have emerge xscreensaver and it works just fine when I type xscreensaver in a console. But I want the screensaver to autoload whenever I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xscreensaver and autoloading it to run under ICEwm and gent.

Ok here is my problem. I have emerge xscreensaver and it works just fine when I type xscreensaver in a console. But I want the screensaver to autoload whenever I start ICEwm. This is not a big deal because all I have to type is one command. But it would be nice since I want the screensaver at all times if it would just do this for me. I'm sure it is a config file or something I have to tell to start the screensave daemon but I don't know where or what to put in this file. Any help much appreciated. thanx.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    as root edit /etc/X11/xinitrc and at the bottom add "xscreensaver &"

Quote Originally Posted by variant
    as root edit /etc/X11/xinitrc and at the bottom add "xscreensaver &"
    i added it to ~/.fluxbox/init (i think) But as i ONLY use the GUI as my user that's fine for me
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

cool. thanks guys. I will try as soon as I get home.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    sdously: he is not using fluxbox and it does not matter about having it in /etc/X11/xinitrc it will still run as a user and not root. that only makes it the default for all users on the system.

of course you could cp /etc/X11/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc and have the settings for the user only.

yeh, i know that it will only affect the user in ~/ but as i say, i never log into X as root!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    what does putting xscreensaver into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc have to do with logging in as root? All it means is that the startx process run by whateve user startes in (not necasarily root) will read /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc first then ~.xinitrc for any applications it should run. I wont mean that xscreensaver is running as root.