Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have a quick question: What is the smallest Gentoo distribution I can get? I have a very slow internet connection, and was wanting to download gentoo, but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Gentoo on 1cd?

Hi,
    I have a quick question:
    What is the smallest Gentoo distribution I can get? I have a very slow internet connection, and was wanting to download gentoo, but I see it has a few CD's. Do i need all of them to install gentoo? or can I just download 1 CD and add what I want later?

Thanks for the help in advance

onlinebacon

Gentoo is a mostly internet-based distro, so all you really need to get started is the Stage 1 tarball. Now, take note, this is *not* the recommended way I'd say for someone unfamiliar to Linux. The first CD is really the only one that's required even if you choose the slightly newbie-friendlier Stage 3 install.

If you'd like an ever-more-slightly easier way to get Gentoo installed on your system, you might look at VidaLinux. It installs the base system for you using an installer like Fedora (the same installer actually), and then you can emerge anything you'd like to install or remove to your heart's content.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah,

So I get the stage 1 tarball and the stage 3 install as well?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    Yeah,

So I get the stage 1 tarball and the stage 3 install as well?
    Yes, the first CD contains Stage 1, 2, and 3 installs.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks dude

Linux Engineer
    I wouldn't install in this manner, you do not want to dl and burn the tarball cds. Rather download the minimal install cd, its only like 50mb or so, so your download will not be that large. Now the minimal cd is a live cd that boots you into a cl atmosphere from which you totally emerge your system and compile whichever tarball you choose. Doing it this way is much faster than downloading the larger cds because you only download what you need when you need it.

Get the minimal live cd not the other cds, they are quite frankly a waste of a download and are quite bloated compared to a more custom system from the minimal live cd, also it is a bit more difficult to emerge off of the larger cds rather than directly from the gentoo mirrors. And then follow the handbook, you'll be up and running in no time
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    I wouldn't install in this manner, you do not want to dl and burn the tarball cds. Rather download the minimal install cd, its only like 50mb or so, so your download will not be that large. Now the minimal cd is a live cd that boots you into a cl atmosphere from which you totally emerge your system and compile whichever tarball you choose. Doing it this way is much faster than downloading the larger cds because you only download what you need when you need it.
    That is the CD I was referring to. I did not mean that the OP should just download the tarballs individually.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    ****, sorry man, been up all night and I did not read it that correctly but if I'm not wrong the live cd does not contain any tarballs, you have to dl them from the mirrors once you boot into the live environment and setup your drives just before you compile and then chroot?

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    ****, sorry man, been up all night and I did not read it that correctly but if I'm not wrong the live cd does not contain any tarballs, you have to dl them from the mirrors once you boot into the live environment and setup your drives just before you compile and then chroot?
    You could be right, but I remember the last time I downloaded the LiveCD (which was a while ago, I admit), it contained some provided tarballs on the actual CD that you could use for installation.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    that would've been the universal live cd 650 mb or so, the minimal is 50mb, I had to dl the stage 1 tarball from a mirror.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast