Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have decided that I am going to try and tackle Gentoo this week. I was wondering...for a novice/intermediate Linux user, which stage would I be best to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thinking of trying Gentoo

Hi all,

I have decided that I am going to try and tackle Gentoo this week. I was wondering...for a novice/intermediate Linux user, which stage would I be best to go with. Any other tips or pointers?

I am also on a bandwidth restrictions so how much downloading would I need to do if I wanted a system with x.org and xfce and some apps like gaim, mplayer and so on.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    I think the stage3 is the easiest one, and stage2 is pretty close but will take a day more... If you don't care of too much optimalisations, I would go for a stage3. Stage1 may take some time, from what I've heard three days on a modern computer to get the base system up... About the bandwitdh, you can use "emerge --fetchonly xorg-x11 xfce4 mplayer gaim" to fetch the sources without compiling them, and then later on "emerge xorg-x11 xfce4 mplayer gaim" to start compiling the sources.

Myself I've tried stage2 and stage3, but for the moment I use stage3.