Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am unable to get my modem to work for the install. I have an EXTERNAL Supra fax modem connected to ttyS0....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

modem problem...

I am unable to get my modem to work for the install. I have an EXTERNAL Supra fax modem connected to ttyS0.

It's a serial modem or USB? Are you using kppp or wvdial? You're using 56k for the Gentoo install? What exactly is it doing or not doing?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    It is a serial modem. Since I have AOL I have to use either Penggy or PengAol to get online. Penggy which s on the gentoo install cd syas there is no valid "tun" device (/dev/net/tun), and PengAol says is able to communicate with the modem but it will not dial.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've never done the Gentoo install with 56k so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help. I have done it on cable, and it took over 14 hours just to get a basic system with IceWM. If I'd gone with KDE or Gnome, probably much longer! With 56k, I'm afraid you're likely looking at days and days, and the connection problems alone could drive one to postalism.

An option you may want to consider would be to install Slackware and use Emerde to then morph into Gentoo. Of course, once you use Slackware, you may forget about Gentoo altogether...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Looks like I aill wait on the install till I can take my sys to my dads and hook it up to his lan.