Find the answer to your Linux question:
alright, this is a major asspain and i can't seem to fix it. my love for google is dissapating. Anywho, yesterday i was logged in as my everyday user. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Sky
    Just Joined!

can no longer su into root

alright, this is a major asspain and i can't seem to fix it. my love for google is dissapating.

Anywho, yesterday i was logged in as my everyday user. i had su'd in before to tweak some apache configs, then exited. however, now, whenever i try to, i get authentication failure. i know the password is correct because i can log in as the root itself, and my user is still listed as a member of the wheel group.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and paid back with hugs.
    let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Linux Enthusiast
    errm... first of all... what did you do before this happened, is there anything that you suspect may have caused it, e.g. emerging something.... also, can you create and log into a dummy user and su from that, as a member of wheel of course

Sky
    Just Joined!
    Well:

I haven't installed anything since Wednesday morning (gallery, Image Magick, netpbm). However, I had spent since Wed night trying to figure out why my thumbnails couldn't be created (that's a nother post, altogether) and all that time I had root access.

So when I left for work on Thursday, the only thing open was mozilla (tabs to the max). I came back home, opened konsole, tried to su in, and nothing.

I created a test user, I tested it on my machine, and also via ssh (and had a trusted friend do the same), but we couldn't su in. All of my config files appear to be in order.

I have since set up sudo, so at least I can still update packages and such.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    sounds kinda like permissions on the wheel group if they can get messed up at all. Not too sure where they're stored etc, but that may be a solution.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Sky
    Just Joined!
    thank you, i'll see what i can find

it could also be a 'pam' problem
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org