Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Alrighty...how bout this... Is it possible to, without Internet, install Gentoo Stage1 with the Universal CD and the Package CD? Basically, once I can get into my own computer, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Alrighty...how bout this...

Is it possible to, without Internet, install Gentoo Stage1 with the Universal CD and the Package CD?

Basically, once I can get into my own computer, I could mount up my NTFS drive and grab the ndiswrapper source code. As long as I have make and gcc, this would work.

I've never tried Gentoo before, but if I can do it with a network card that's not supported by default, then I could grab ndiswrapper later and install it.

Gadzooks...

I thought I had something all figured out. But from what I understand, I don't get my gcc until I download the sources...

Alrighty, well, if this is the case, can anyone tell me a good network card (preferably cheaper) that I wouldn't have to configure under the Gentoo instsallation? It would need to read an 802.11g network being broadcast from a Linksys router. Or if I do need to configure it, at least make it simple?

Thanks. Or if anyone can tell me if it's possible to somehow make/gcc an ndiswrapper before all this other stuff starts, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Have you downloaded the universal livecd and tried to boot from it?
    With any luck you might not even have to configure it.
    And if you do have to configureit, and have trouble, we are always here to help you.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    With stage1 you need more than gcc and portage , there is a script on the CD witch fetches the necesarry apps from the internet (including gcc) for you. Myself, I am doing stage1 right now

I know, but my network card won't let me access the Internet without ndiswrapper, I believe. And to use ndiswrapper, I need gcc and make. And modprobe, I just realized. Grrr.

Well, I'll try installing tomorrow. I just don't want to wipe my SuSE then realize that I can't use Linux anymore until I get a new network card that actually works by default.

Hrm...I just realized that the partitioning step doesn't happen until after network configuration. Good. I can give that a shot.

Linux Engineer
    Repartition with suse still on the disk, and then you can install trough SuSE, letting you do a install with internet.

Linux Engineer
    the gentoo live cd does not yet support wireless networking, you _can_ install gentoo using a knoppix live cd which does support wireless.

Arighty, well first off, I currently am making use of all partitions:

/hda = Windows NTFS
    /hdb1 = Windows NTFS (though I may change this to a shared VFAT once I actually repartition)

The rest of /hdb is given to my SuSE. As such, to repartition, I have to get rid of SuSE.

And when we say LiveCD, are we referring to the same thing? When I say LiveCD, I think of Knoppix or the like, where you are running a fully usable Linux environment off of a CD. Is this correct, or does it simply mean a bootable Linux CD (such as the SuSE install CDs)? And if it is correct, does this mean that the Gentoo Universal CD is also a LiveCD?

Hrmm...but if I can do it through Knoppix, that might work... I could boot Knoppix, rip ndiswrapper off my NTFS, and do that...

How would I go about doing this? Simply run the whole thing in a Knoppix terminal? If so, does chrooting and the like all work the same way? Can someone clarify?

Thank you all so much for your help so far, by the way.

Linux Engineer
    As I mentioned, you can install from your existing SuSE-installation with the ndiswrapper present, as long as you have a partition you can install gentoo on.

Linux Engineer
    exactly just follow the additions to the Gentoo handbook under alternate installs where it mentions knoppix installs, they may apply. I have installed through extant installs before and it worked quite well
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast