Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
In the Gentoo documentation, it says you need a network connection in order to install Stage1. However, under the Universal CD explanation, it says it contains the Stage1 tarball, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quick Internet-Required Question

In the Gentoo documentation, it says you need a network connection in order to install Stage1. However, under the Universal CD explanation, it says it contains the Stage1 tarball, and that

and you can even use it to install Gentoo without a working internet connection
    So my question is, do I need an Internet connection or not? I don't think that my current card will set up Internet properly (unless I can load ndiswrapper somehow), so will I need a new card in order to install Stage1?

To do a Stage 1 install definitely requires a working internet connection. The stage 1 tarball, all it has is a compiler, and that i about it. I think there might be something else in there, not sure though.
    Whereas a stage 3 install has everything you need to get Gentoo going without an internet connection.

I hope this clears it up a liitle bit.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    To do a Stage 1 install definitely requires a working internet connection. The stage 1 tarball, all it has is a compiler, and that i about it. I think there might be something else in there, not sure though.
    Whereas a stage 3 install has everything you need to get Gentoo going without an internet connection.

I hope this clears it up a liitle bit.
    No, but from what I reading you can do a stage 1, with the universal cd, without an internet connection
    http://www.gentoolinux.org/doc/en/ha...?part=1&chap=2
    http://www.gentoolinux.org/doc/en/ha...?part=1&chap=3
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

From that first link you gave
    * A stage1 file contains nothing more than a compiler, Portage (Gentoo's software management system) and a couple of packages on which the compiler or Portage depends.
    * A stage2 file contains a so-called bootstrapped system, a minimal environment from which one can start building all other necessary applications that make a Gentoo environment complete.
    * A stage3 file contains a prebuilt minimal system which is almost fully deployable. It only lacks a few applications where you, the Gentoo user, needs to choose which one you want to install.

I suppose you could do a Stage1 install if you downloaded all of the packages on to a cd/dvd and then emerged them from there. =PITA

If you are going to do that, just do a Stage 3 install.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Well, there is the Package CD thingy.

Isn't the idea behind a Stage1 to get a configuration customized to your system? A Stage3 wouldn't give that.

But if it possible to do that, I think I might, and I could simply install ndiswrapper later...

Have you tried booting with the live cd. Your internet might just work with the tools that are supplied with the livecd, there are specific instructions for wireless setups.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Can you install to the HD via the LiveCD? My plan in this is maybe to switch from SuSE to Gentoo...

Yes, the Gentoo livecd is also an installation cd. When you boot from the live cd you will see directions on how to get to the handbook, how to set up your internet connection. If you are going to do a stage 1, be prepared to have your pc tied up for awhile.
    I did a stage1 and it took 8 hours. 2.8 Ghz Celeron proc and 1 GB of ram.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Can you install to the HD via the LiveCD? My plan in this is maybe to switch from SuSE to Gentoo...
    you can, that is the purpose of the live cd, you can install through any live cd, not just the gentoo one also. If you have an extra partition available you can install from your SuSE installation even, you just dl the files, untar them, chroot, and work from within your gentoo environment even before its completely set up...its really fascinating
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    I started the install with the gentoo live-cd and finished with knoppix...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast