Find the answer to your Linux question:
well i downloaded the nVidia-glx and nVidia-kernel for my gentoo system...i did a new custom compiled version in which i compiled in everything i need for drivers. i then ran ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nVidia problem...

well i downloaded the nVidia-glx and nVidia-kernel for my gentoo system...i did a new custom compiled version in which i compiled in everything i need for drivers. i then ran the Xorg --configure and made the configure file i then went in and edited it to use glx and went in and entered nvidia for the device driver. i ran modprobe nvidia and finally the opengl nvidia stuff. but whenever i type startx or just simply X it messes up saying it had trouble initializing the nvidia kernel if you need the log of it i will submit... please help me

um.....why didnt you simply emerge nvidia-glx and emerge nvidia-kernel?

and have a look at this...http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    I did emerge the nvidia kernel and nvidia glx but they are not working. and that guide is the one i have been following the entire time otherwise i wouldn't have gotten it this far.

Linux Engineer
    are you sure that you have x configured correctly? I know its a silly question, but did you enter in the correct amount of video ram, I made a mistake when I first did mine and it took awhile to figure out. also you could run xorgconfig, then do the nvidia updates from the guide...you will definately know when it works as you will get a beautiful splash screen at startx...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs