Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Those would all work, but the teacher is VERY hesitant about me changing ANY settings on his computer. The question is not how to work around this, but is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Those would all work, but the teacher is VERY hesitant about me changing ANY settings on his computer. The question is not how to work around this, but is there truly no disk encryption available on Linux?
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sxeraverx
    Those would all work, but the teacher is VERY hesitant about me changing ANY settings on his computer. The question is not how to work around this, but is there truly no disk encryption available on Linux?
    Not even the BIOS? That's a simple thing to rectify. and the password can be whatever the teacher wants.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer

Just Joined!
    Give him a good beating

Don't let that n00b stand in your way

Linux Newbie
    Thanks a million, jaboua. That's exactly what I needed.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    But wait up... I can't understand one thing... how does this kid change the root password??? If you don't have the root permissions and the passwords are shadowed there's no way to change them!!!

Linux Engineer
    Yes it is. As root on the livecd, you mount the partitions and chroot into it. Then, you're automaticly root, and can just run "passwd"

Just Joined!
    gee... I never thought that! anyway I've never heard of a feasible way to encrypt a system disk which can boot on its own... encfs stands in the way between the kernel and the rest of the OS...you can't boot a disk encrypted with encfs...

the only way I think is the BIOS password..

if I'm wrong please tell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2