Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Gentoo (stage 3, noting too ambitious – yet!). I have downloaded the universal CD for my 2800+ AMD with 512MB RAM. However, it does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing with a Wireless Card

I am trying to install Gentoo (stage 3, noting too ambitious – yet!). I have downloaded the universal CD for my 2800+ AMD with 512MB RAM.

However, it does not recognise my wireless card. It is a Netgear WG311 with the Atheros chip set. I have downloaded the madwifi drivers for it and got it working with Slackware. When I tried to run make to install the drivers with Gentoo, it came back with a “-/bin/bash: make: command not found” error.

I have also tried to continue with the installation without this card working, downloading what is required from my other PC, but of course emerge will not work this way. I have also tried to run make later in the install process, but get confusing stop errors.

How can I get this card working from the start?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I had a similar issue (I need ndiswrapper for my card, and wanted a Stage1).

What I did is booted from Knoppix and used ndiswrapper (which is built-in to Knoppix) to get Internet. Then, I ran Gentoo installation from a terminal. You don't even need a Gentoo CD to do it this way.

Then, before you boot into your actual Gentoo install, make sure to emerge ndiswrapper or madwifi (whichever you want to use). Then you can set yourself up in Gentoo and all is happy.

To get a guide on installing Gentoo through Knoppix, go to the Alternate Installation Guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

The Knoppix part is Section 3.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the pointer...

Have managed to install Gentoo using SimplyMEPIS to get the network working.

Now, I have other problems which I am struggling to solve but thats another story, so I will start a new thread...

Once again, thanks for the kick in the right direction.

Gaz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close