Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I was just wondering if this would work without a hitch... Say that I have an installation on /dev/hda3 which is only 5gb and I am running out of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

question on folders and mounting

Hey, I was just wondering if this would work without a hitch...

Say that I have an installation on /dev/hda3 which is only 5gb and I am running out of room. However, I have a partition on the same hd, say /dev/hda4 and /dev/hda5...could I copy all the info on my home folder to /dev/hda4 and all of the stuff on my /usr folder to /dev/hda5 and have this folders automount with fstab to these locations, you know like mounting /dev/hda4 /home && /dev/hda5 /usr.

If this would work, so that I do not have to rebootstrap my system, what would be the optimal forlders to move, I know that /home and /usr get quite full with saving files and emerging apps...

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for your time,

John
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    As long as you change the partition-table in /etc/fstab, I think it'll go...

EDIT: Just remember to copy the files in /usr to the other partition and removing it from the original drive from a livecd or something so that the system won't stop working in the middle of the transaction

Just Joined!
    Here is a good article on how to move your /home directory if you need it. I would assume that it would work similarly with /usr.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...-partplan.html

Linux Engineer
    cool, I'll check it out...do you guys know if there are any other folders that would possibly need moving as well, so I don't fill up the 5gb partition, is just /home and /usr enough?

Linux Engineer
    The big ones must be /home og /usr, but I have put /boot on a seperate noauto-partition as well so that the kernel wont be damaged if the power-suply goes...

Linux Engineer
    yeah, I did that per the handbook on a 32mb ext /dev/hda1...seems to be working well, I thought it was just /home and /usr as the biguns though...thanks for the confirm

Linux Engineer
    I know the handbook sais 32MB, but I always leave 250MB, I know I won't need that much but I need some space for extra kernels and stuff

Linux Engineer
    ahh, makes sense, hopefully I'll have enough space for an extra kernel!