Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have installed gentoo but i didnt realise i had to include support for my sis900 network adapter when i "make menuconfig" the kernel during installation. I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot detect eth0

Hi all.

I have installed gentoo but i didnt realise i had to include support for my sis900 network adapter when i "make menuconfig" the kernel during installation. I installed gentoo fine but i dont have internet access. When i run ifconfig eth0 it says there is no such device. I checked the following dir for the sis900.ko file but i didnt find it.

/lib/modules/2.6.7blah/kernel/drivers/net

I then ran from my livecd and the sis900 file was on the livecd in the above dir. When i modprobe sis900 i had internet access. So i tried mounting my root partition to /mnt/gentoo and copying the sis900.ko file from the livecd to my root partition. However when i rebooted into my gentoo and tried to modprobe sis900 i got an error saying that the format of the module was incorrect.

After this i decided to run make menuconfig again and select the support sis900 support, i saved changes and then ran make && make modules_install. I then rebooted and i still didnt have internet access. Inface the sis900.ko file i copied from the cd was removed from the dir it was in before i updated the kernel.

Anyone have any ideas on what i should do now?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Do not compile the driver as a module, try to compile it directly into the kernel...

Linux Engineer
    also if you just cannot figure it out, you can always emerge genkernel and use that the configure your kernel, which will install support for almost all hardware configurations, it will make your kernel rather large, but genkernel also has manual make menuconfig options, with which you can see exactly what is enabled for your eth card to be functioning and then compile your own kernel with that type of support enabled.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!

compiling your kernel

Make sure you copy the bzimage into the /boot directory, make && make modules_install will not do this for you, so if you compiled support directly into the kernel not as a module, youve got to copy the bzimage, and if you built it as a module youve got to load it with modprobe.

Linux Engineer
    But if you do a make install, the kernel will automaticly be copied over to /boot/vmlinuz

Show
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod |grep sis900
    output.

Just Joined!
    Hi all

THanks for all the replies, and im sorry for the delay in replying ive been without internet access.

the command

/sbin/lsmod grep sis900

outputted nothing. I recompiled my kernel running:

make && make install && make modules_install

but that made no difference. I still dont have a sis900.ko file in the /lib/modules/2.6.7blah/kernel/drivers/net directory and i cannot ping any other hosts. Im at a loss for what to do now.

I dont really want to emerge genkernel as for some reason every time i try to do it my laptop overheats (it's becoming a real pain).

Any more ideas?

BTW how do i change the keyboard langauage in gentoo, it is currently set to US but i want it as UK.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Sorry for ther double post, i cant see the edit button to edit the above post.

I looked around my system and found the following 3 files in the /usr/src/linux/drivers/net directory
    sis900.c sis900.h sis900.o

is there anyway to use these files to solve my problem? Thanks