Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by loft306 also with the --usepkg or -k argument it will only use a pkg if there is one available ....if none is available then it will use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    also with the --usepkg or -k argument it will only use a pkg if there is one available ....if none is available then it will use it from source
    But there is also an option "-K" or "--usepkgonly" which only will do something if the package is available in binary format.

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone

Now I know how to use binaries in Portage. But you were right; no one has one of the most important binaries: kde

I don't mind compiling most packages from source, but I don't pertecularly like having to wait up to 48 hours to compile the essentials.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait.

BTW, how do I do the equivalent of dist-upgrade in Portage? And can I specify to only update with binaries?

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    The Portage tree is usually updated with rsync, a fast incremental file transfer utility. Updating is fairly simple as the emerge command provides a front-end for rsync:
    Code:
    # emerge --sync
    If you are unable to rsync due to firewall restrictions you can still update your Portage tree by using their daily generated Portage tree snapshots. The emerge-webrsync tool automatically fetches and installs the latest snapshot on your system:
    Code:
    # emerge-webrsync
    There you have it .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2