Find the answer to your Linux question:
A few weeks ago I decided to install Gentoo. I had been using Mandrake Linux for awhile and decided I was up to it. Since then, I have installed Gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo fails on emerging

A few weeks ago I decided to install Gentoo. I had been using Mandrake Linux for awhile and decided I was up to it. Since then, I have installed Gentoo seven times and had it fail in virtually all the same way: make errors. I had the ext2 file system in the boot and ext3 in my root partitions. On some emergence somewhere it would fail when trying to make some file. The ext3 file system would become read-only and I'd have to fix it with fsck. The only problem was fixing it was just like going around in a circle, because when I triy to emerge the program again (in one case it was Xorg-x11), it'd fail and around I go. I switched to ReiserFS and now it does not even compile the kernel. Note that this all did not happen on one install but during seven different ones. It's always the same make error in emerging something. I'd really like to use Gentoo and was wondering if anyone had any idea why it'd be doing this. Here's my make.conf below:

Code:
    CFLAGS=" -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    USE="aac aim dedicated divx4linux gif javascript java jpeg mmx mozillaa mp3 mpeg oxcar png pdflib php quicktime usb vcd xml2 xml xpm xvid x86 X -gnome -kde -gtk dvd alsa cdr qt"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="there's some mirrors here"
    SYNC="some sync places"
    Thanks for your help

Linux Engineer
    About the useflags, nothing serious but I think its USE="mozilla oscar", not USE="mozillaa oxcar"...

Something a bit more serious, why is the CHOST-option missing??? And what stage did you do?

Linux Engineer
    I like RieserFS alot personally; however, you must add support for it in your kernel and compile it in. Even genkernel will not automatically have RieserFS support installed, as per the handbook you will have to manually make genkernel...not that hard and it is easily explained in the handbook. Also you will have to emerge rieserfs tools in order to check the system, etc.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You should have CHOST section and if you post the error you are getting on emerge than that might help.

As stated by someone else you have to have file system support enabled in your kernel. If you are using genkernel I would suggest not doing this and manually doing your kernel. I tried genkernel my first time and it screwed a bunch of stuff up and manually doing the kernel is both and easy and good for learning because many things such as ALSA, usb, NIC, need to be enabled in kernel which you usually have to do manually.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I actually did have a CHOST option, I simply forgot to type it in. So the real make.conf is:
    Code:
    CFLAGS=" -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    USE="aac aim dedicated divx4linux gif javascript java jpeg mmx mozilla mp3 mpeg oscar png pdflib php quicktime usb vcd xml2 xml xpm xvid x86 X -gnome -kde -gtk dvd alsa cdr qt"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="there's some mirrors here"
    SYNC="some sync places"
    I used a Stage 3 to install.

can copy the exact error that you get?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I"m done with this for now. I cannot get it to work. I've followed the manual to the letter. It messes up compiling something or emerging something and screws my file systems. Here is one such error:
    Code:
     ReiserFS :sda3: warning: vx-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found block bla bla bla: FSCK?
    I'm only using this computer for a game server and some light computing. My Windows machine handles the rest. I'll just use Mandriva and cut down on the dumb stuff they want you to install.