Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by jaboua Sounds like you forgot the minus in front of the capital C... Also, make sure your kernel three is in /usr/src/linux OK IM IN LINUX KERNEL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Sounds like you forgot the minus in front of the capital C... Also, make sure your kernel three is in /usr/src/linux
    OK IM IN LINUX KERNEL CONFIGURATION DO I HAVE TO ADD SOMTHING HERE OR JUST THE DATA THATS STILL MARKS

OK IM IN THE MAKE PROCESS THE IM GOI TO MAKE MODULES_INSTALL THE I REBOOT RIGHT?
    THANKS

OK IM IN THE MAKE PROCESS THE IM GOI TO MAKE MODULES_INSTALL THE I REBOOT RIGHT?
    THANKS
    English please?
    Do you think you could ease up on the CAPSLOCK button?
    It is kind of annoying.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    THANKS
    English please?
    Do you think you could ease up on the CAPSLOCK button?
    It is kind of annoying.
    Sorry now i have to remove my live cd and reboot?
    I reboot but when starts loading the modules some of the puts failed to load กก i write them with the same names when i have the live cd in but it still the same problem.
    Thanks

Linux Engineer
    When you came in to the configuration, you remembered to add the modules you wanted to be compiled in? Did you compile them as modules, that would work, but if you compiled them into the kernel you will have to reinstall the kernel too.

EDIT: To check if the modules work, try as root after having logged in (without the livecd) to run this:
    Code:
    modprobe <module-name>
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
    ping yahoo.com

Just Joined!
    When you came in to the configuration, you remembered to add the modules you wanted to be compiled in? Did you compile them as modules, that would work, but if you compiled them into the kernel you will have to reinstall the kernel too.

EDIT: To check if the modules work, try as root after having logged in (without the livecd) to run this:
    Code:
    modprobe <module-name>
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
    ping yahoo.com
    Hi do i have to reinstall the kernel with the livedcd on, i do the modprobe and the modules are correct,but the modules I detected when i start up with the livecd i write the in modules.autolad.d with nano, but i dont know if is the correct name of the modules because when I start up with out the livecd it shows me and error in every module i write.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    If you run "lsmod" with the livecd, before chroot'ing, it should give you a list of modules. Write down the names, reboot into your gentoo-system and do another "lsmod". Compare the results, and post here if there are some modules loaded on the livecd but not on the installed system so maybe we can find out which modules are missing, and where in the kernel-config you find them.

Just Joined!
    If you run "lsmod" with the livecd, before chroot'ing, it should give you a list of modules. Write down the names, reboot into your gentoo-system and do another "lsmod". Compare the results, and post here if there are some modules loaded on the livecd but not on the installed system so maybe we can find out which modules are missing, and where in the kernel-config you find them.
    When i started with the livecd and do a lsmod the following things apper:
    floppy
    vtc
    ata_piix
    evdcv
    tg3
    parport_pc
    parport
    ahci
    sata_qstor
    sata_uli
    sat_sis
    sata_sx4
    sata_nv
    sata_via
    sata_svw
    sata_sil
    sata_promise
    libata
    mise
    dm_mirror
    dm_mod
    sbp2
    ohci1394
    icee1394
    s1811_hcd
    ohci_hcd
    uhci_hcd
    usb-storage
    usbhid
    ehci_hcd
    usbcore

I copy all of this in modules.autoload.d then i do a make and a make modules_install i reboot and remove livecd when start the gentoo enviroment read all de above but with errors and whe i do a lsmod the only modules are:

iptable_raw
    ipt_NOTRACK
    libcrc32c
    cytherm
    sata_sx4
    sata_sis
    ipr
    intel_mch_agp
    firmware_class
    video

thats all i have and when i use modprobe all seems to work find.

Linux Engineer
    So you can get into the network if you use modprobe? Then recompile the kernel (again) with the support for these modules compiled into the kernel, not as a module:

Code:
    chroot /mnt/gentoo
    cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make && make modules_install
    cp .config /boot/config
    cp System.map /boot/System.map"
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/NAME_OF_KERNEL
    Replace /boot/NAME_OF_KERNEL with the name of your kernel. Then remove the entries in the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and run "modules-update". Then you exit the chroot-enviroment, unmount the partitions and reboot (without the livecd in the cdrom-drive). Does it work now?[/code]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2