Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Right, but when I boot my system it brings me directly to GRUB and I can't get out. That's why I'm trying to use quit....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Right, but when I boot my system it brings me directly to GRUB and I can't get out. That's why I'm trying to use quit.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefann
    Exit GRUB??? Why??? If you are trying to exit it when you are selecting your os/kernel you shouldn't be able to, and shouldn't, and hopefully cant. If you accidentaly invoked it from the shell...
    I have run Grub before, for the purpose of installing Grub to a floppy disk. As I recall, there was no problem with simply entering 'quit' to exit.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Quote Originally Posted by acsmith
    Right, but when I boot my system it brings me directly to GRUB and I can't get out. That's why I'm trying to use quit.
    AFTER you select the OS, it is supposed to start before anything else to select the OS/Kernel.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I think I know what you're trying to say. Am I supposed to use the kernel command in GRUB? If so then how do I use it? I tried using that before and I couldn't figure it out. It doesn't say anything about this in the handbook. That's why I'm lost. I feel like it's missing something.

You are supposed to boot up the system, into the bootloader(GRUB), start Linux, login to linux as root, and make your account.
    Account managment is done in Linux and NOT GRUB, I think you are stuck in the mindset of GRUB from the previous chap.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    How do I start Linux from GRUB? Sorry for all the questions. Am I still making sense? haha!

I was under the impression that you were still in the setup stage
    Now that you have rebooted and you are seeing the grub> prompt, that means grub was not configured correctly. Follow this small tutorial
    1. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1" or "find /grub/stage1" if you have a separate /boot partition.
    2. Using the info gained from step 1, type "root (hd0,0) if that is where you were told root was.
    3. Type "kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel hit TAB,
    That should tell you the name of your kernel, put it in there after /kernel
    4. If there was an initrd in there, do the same as you did with the kernel command.

If you have a separate /boot partition, where I have (hd0,0)/boot, take the boot out.

5. type "boot"
    Once you arein your system, you will need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and set it right.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I figured I had done something wrong while installing GRUB. I'll give that a whirl.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by acsmith
    I figured I had done something wrong while installing GRUB. I'll give that a whirl.
    Just a tip, acsmith: if you get this:
    • grub>

that's a good thing: it means that Grub is installed okay but you need to fix the configuration file. You can boot from that if you know the right command lines. But if you get THIS:
    • GRUB_

That's a bad thing. That means that Grub is on your MBR but it can't find it's stage 1.5 and stage 2 files.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Ok, good, I was getting grub>

I decided to just start over and I nuked my hd and I'm almost to the point of GRUB again. If I have the same problem I'll follow your guys instructions. You guys have been a HUGE help. I owe you guys one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast