Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Alright, I feel stupid asking this one, but how do you exit GRUB? When I use quit it gives me an unrecognized command error....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another GRUB problem [SOLVED]

Alright, I feel stupid asking this one, but how do you exit GRUB? When I use quit it gives me an unrecognized command error.

Try ESC
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Exit GRUB??? Why??? If you are trying to exit it when you are selecting your os/kernel you shouldn't be able to, and shouldn't, and hopefully cant. If you accidentaly invoked it from the shell, than you would have to change to another virtual console, X server, or such, do a "ps aux", and look for the GRUB proccess id, then "kill <PID of GRUB>"; or if running a windowmanager use a program like 'ksysguard'(KDE System Guard) and kill it from there.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, I'm completely new go Linux and I'm using the Gentoo Handbook. After installing GRUB and rebooting the system is tells you to setup the administrator but the examples aren't in the GRUB shell and it doesn't tell you how to get out of GRUB. I'm just confused.

What is the specific message?

Just Joined!
    When I try to quit it says Unrecognized Error. In the handbook I just finished http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=10 and am at the beginning of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=11

I didn't use genkernel and I followed the first grub.conf instructions.

Thanks.

ALSO! Is it possible to download portage off a website or something and burn it to a cd? I can't get online because the only way I can get to the internet is through my Linksys Wireless card and whenever I use ndiswrapper it hangs and I tried installing through Knoppix and that didn't work either. I'd just like to have the latest portage.

I meant the message asking you to setup admin? And yes you can download it onto a cd, then copy it to your HD, and the compile it, or install it with the appropriate package managment tool.

Go here, put this on a cd, then you can use it just like it says in the handbook to extract a portage snapshot.
    http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    The admin setup is in the handbook. It's the second link in my post above. Thanks.

Thanks for the portage link. I really appriciate it.

It is telling you to logon to linux as root, and create a user for your everyday use, to prevent harm to your system. This isn't done in GRUB, but the Linux Shell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast