Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Is the part where grub starts booting, does the text get all messed up but you can almost make out the words behind this mess? That happened to me too ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Is the part where grub starts booting, does the text get all messed up but you can almost make out the words behind this mess? That happened to me too but then once the fonts booted it went clean. Kind of like the splashimage part of loading was made a mess.

Linux Guru
    If you boot with the install CD and then mount /dev/hda3 at /mnt/whatever, and then you 'ls /mnt/whatever', you should see your main directories: /bin, /etc, /proc, /usr and so on. Can you do that, or does the mount command return with "you must specify a filesystem type..."?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    hello bigjohn
    i run into the same problem when i set up a new linux box with gentoo 2005.0. i get a graphical bootscreen and everything is right until mounting filesystem and determining root device. then i get the same error message. my fstab an my menu.lst is the same like yours. i think it's the way gentoo mounts ext3 filesystems. if you want to mount /dev/hda3 manualy you have to do this like: mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3... but how do i enter this command in fstab?

regards

uwe

To be honest, I don't know. I've only ever used that during the install phase.

I was about to try what drakebasher suggested and see what happens.

Curious though, because although I got a "strange", erm..... Ok occurance with grub i.e. it would give me the poor quality view/almost unreadable screen initially, I'd just hit enter and it would boot ok.

Bloody strange though as you say. Cos this is the first time I've had gentoo installed in the ext3 format, I've always used reiserfs before, and thought (probably wrongly) that ext3 would be easier.

Ah, that's my emerge -uD world complete. I'm gonna go and try what drakebasher suggested.

I'll post back.

regards

John

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    If you boot with the install CD and then mount /dev/hda3 at /mnt/whatever, and then you 'ls /mnt/whatever', you should see your main directories: /bin, /etc, /proc, /usr and so on. Can you do that, or does the mount command return with "you must specify a filesystem type..."?
    Because I'm a little in the dark as to how I should be actually doing this, what I've done is boot the install CD, then tried mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo (as just mount /dev/hda3 errored with "mount: can't find /dev/hda3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab) so after doing the aforementioned mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo, it then replied with
    EXT2-fs warning (device hda3): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 file system as ext2
    If I then do the ls /mnt/gentoo I can see the main directories i.e. bin, boot, dev, etc, home, and so on.

This is "ringing bells" of some sort i.e. something to do with filesystems but for the life of me I can't think what it is.

Is it something to do with making sure that I identify a file system with the instructions passed to the kernel by the bootloader or something like that ???

regards

John

Linux Guru
    Looks like Gentoo has a problem with your filesystem. This is what I would try:
    Boot to the install CD. Do not mount hda3 yet, first run 'fsck /dev/hda3' and see what you get. If we're lucky it will check and repair the ext3 filesystem. After that runs, try mounting again as you did before: 'mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo'

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    mount /dev/hda3 errored with "mount: can't find /dev/hda3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    This is normal. Since you don't have (and don't really want) an fstab entry for /dev/hda3 to be mounted at /mnt/gentoo, you have to specify both: first the device to be mounted and then the mount point.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn
    Is it something to do with making sure that I identify a file system with the instructions passed to the kernel by the bootloader or something like that ???
    You've already taken care of that in the "real_root=/dev/hda3" on your kernel line in grub.conf (or menu.lst)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

# fsck /dev/hda3
    fsck 1.35 (8-Feb 2004)
    e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
    /dev/hda3: clean, 388440/3057824 files, 1437030/6104700 blocks
    If I tell it
    Code:
    mount -t /dev/hda3
    It just returns me to a root prompt as per normal.

So if I unmount it, then try
    Code:
    mount -t /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
    it doesn't like that and gives me a list of different usage methods for mount (as in the part of the man page that you sometimes get if you put a command in wrongly).

whereas, if I just do
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
    I get the same warning/message about trying to mount an ext 3 file system as ext2 as I posted earlier.

To be honest, it looks as if that seems to be ok. I'll boot the system and try just mount too see what it says.

Linux Guru
    Normally, the -t switch should be followed by a filesystem type: 'mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo'. I don't know what Linux thinks if you have the -t switch but no argument. And if it's a Linux filesystem, you shouldn't normally need the -t switch at all. So if 'mount -t /dev/hda3' gives no complaints, but 'mount -t /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo' does, my first question would be: when you do 'mount /dev/hda3' or 'mount -t /dev/hda3', what will be the result of doing 'mount' as to where it mounted /dev/hda3? Because if it gives no complaint, then it should have mounted the filesystem, but if you don't tell it where to mount it, how does it know?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Which gives me this.

bash-2.05b# mount
    /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    none on /dev type ramfs (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
    /dev/hda4 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    bash-2.05b#
    So the system seems to have got all the normal stuff and the older kernel version mounted ok!

I just can't fathom out why it won't boot the newer kernel version!

I mean, as my (now lilo.conf) shows
    boot=/dev/hda
    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=2.6.11-r3

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3
    label=2.6.11-r3
    read-only
    root=/dev/ram0
    append="init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev"
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r3

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r8
    label=2.6.11-r8
    read-only
    root=/dev/ram0
    append="init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev"
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r8
    both entries are the same, except the image and initrd names, it's all in the /boot directory, so I'm absolutely stumped why one kernel will boot and the other not and it's telling me that it won't recognise the / partition i.e. /dev/hda3 etc etc (the error message posted earlier, it's the same whether it's being booted by lilo or grub)

regards

John

Linux Guru
    I'm not a LILO guy, so pardon my asking, but how come the config says "boot=/dev/hda" and not "boot=/dev/hda1"? Seems wrong: how would it know where /boot/kernel is unless it just ASSUMES that the boot directory?/partition? is on the first partition of hda? Okay, maybe it's a typo....

Only other thing I can think of would be to go through the kernel configuration, mostly checking for filesystem support: but you haven't done anything weird with file system types. So like you, I'm stumped.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast